Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1997 4dr Tracker 4x4, w/ 4spd Auto 181,600 miles. When i shift into drive from park it kinda lurches into gear. And then when it shifts from 1st into 2nd it kinda does the same thing. All the other gear changes are smooth and relatively unnoticeable. Checked the trans fluid (with the engine running cold, and running after it warmed up) and its within hot/cold parameters. any suggestions on what to look at? Teenage girl owned it before me, pretty sure she also thought the warped rotors were normal... so i don't know how long the trans has been like this.

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
Is the fluid nice and pink indicating a recent change?

IF not, I'd change it first off to establish a base-line. ;)

And is your engine idle RPM in spec? Too high or too low will affect that initial engagement.

Frigid temps to some extent as well.

Mass huh! Me too, but I got the heck out while I still could. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the fluid is still clean (as for pink color, i'm red color-blind) lol.

Be glad you're further south now! its 20* and likley 2" of snow tonight...

·
Super Moderator
24,222 Posts
The 4 speed tranny shifts electronically, using solenoids, rather than mechanically. Is your O/D light on (or CEL on) when the car is running?? You can also 'test' the tranny mechanically, if you have a separate tranny computer (which may have been incorporated into the ECU in 1997), by disconnecting the tranny computer connector, and shifting the car manually from 1st to 2nd, etc., to see if it still lurches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CEL light is on for a sticky EGR. The parts for that should be in today or tomorrow hopefully. It took a bit but i eventually did find the OD switch (on the shift lever) and it lurches & shifts hard 1st to 2nd regardless of the OD setting. I'll try troubleshooting it like you said tonight. Maybe i have a bad solenoid?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts