Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first Samurai and would like some advice on weather to buy the fuel injected version or the carb version? I plan to drive it a little and maybe add a 3 inch lift with moderate mud tires for hunting. Thanks and great site....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would def recomend a carb version. I had a FI version, and it gaves me nothing but problems. The computers on the FI have major issues, and the sensors are usually not fuctioning properly at this age. In the end I gave up and converted it to carb, it was a pita though, had to use alot of donor parts from a carb samurai.

with that said, a carb sami is probably going to run like crap also, but you can just change the carb, instead of converting it, and have a reliable samurai.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a FI 1.6 8V in my 87 Samurai and really enjoy it. It is smooth and enough power to do what I want without gear reduction. Fuel economy is reasonable and to date I haven't had any ECM problems or any other gremlins trouble me.

I am glad I went this route vs the 1.3 modifications. It's been good for me.... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
samurai Fueli!

Thanks Guys, I think I am on the right track, so I am still looking for the 1991 and up model Samurai....any leads for a nice one will be appreciated!

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are advantages with a 91.
A buddy has one.
He is always worried about the ECU.
They say the 88.5 and newer have the ECU.
My 87 has been really good.
I have run it offroad for 13 years.
The components are certainly adequate for what I ask of it.
The after market support is a goldmine.
Having owned many other 4x4s I like my Sami the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again

13 years is a long time so it must be tough...I heard the same thing about the aftermarket parts and support. I have found a 94 model samurai that is suppose to be really nice with around 85 to 90,000 miles on it, I am just trying to figure out what its worth. I hear that the newer ones have a different gear ratio as well to help with the taller tires??? Thanks for the reply....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought my 91 EFI with 112000 miles about 6 months ago. My first Sammy and I really lke it. I have had a bunch of 4x4 trucks in the past and currently drive an '08 4x4 Tundra. My Sammy is all original and totaly stock in really good shape other than a couple of small dents. Nothing holds a candle to the fun factor of this vehicle. My EFI had a minor cold start valve issue (gunked up) and the previous owner turned every screw he could to try and fix it, compounding the problem. With some research and tinkering I have resolved my issues (and the cost of a can of carb cleaner) and found this EFI system to be as simple or simpler than a GM TBI system. I am very familiar with most carbs and made lots of $$ "back in the day" when I repaired them. I am not real familiar with the Sammy carb, but I think it is a feedback type that is somewhat complicated and problematic as a little research will show. EFI gets my vote for the preferred fuel delivery system. I think that '94 would be a great choice if you like it. There is a world of help and knowledge on this board and others to help you keep her on the trail or road. Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to a great wheelin' community. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
91 to 94?

Thats great news to hear that you have had good luck with your 91 FI , I think I am definitley going to hold out for the later model...are there many differences between the 91 and 94 models? Thanks again to all..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am also new to the Sammy community. My experience with them so far is isolated to my '91, there are some here that I'm sure can tell you about the changes. The only thing I know for sure is Suzuki deleted the rear seat (safety crap) from the factory at some point (my '91 has the rear seat). The attachment nuts for the seat and seat belts are there, I think you just have to drill the sheet metal for access to them if you want to add a rear seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
87 Samurai... lemon?

Hey guys, great site.

I just bought a "surviver" 87 samurai last week and its up on the rack already from the MASSIVE oil leak coming from the fuel pump. I have read that this is quite a common of the mechanical fuel pumps. I have the replacement part and it seems to be a simple bolt on fix. I also have to fix the hood latch, the speedometer, odometer, hand brake etc... Nothin major, but still foriegn to me
Does anyone have any useful tips or advice on things they wished they would have done right away??? Do you recommend a weber carb upgrade? what kind of reliability and performance enhancements will that give me for my 300 bucks?
I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I plan on becoming something of a samurai EMT over the next few months getting this thing to a point where she is reliable. Over the next few years I am going to make a serious project out of it and really make it nice.
Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Finding any of these in running condition is worth it! Remember they stopped making them for the US in 1995, so your talking 15 years old for the newest out there. My first was/is a fuelie (92) and my street version is an 88.5 (carbed). They both run great now but they each have their own attitude. I will appluad anyone that brings one back from near death and gets it in running condition! Treat them right and they will do the same for you!
;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement BillJohn,

I am very excited to get to work. I guess it is normal to feel overwhelmed at first by the amount of work that needs to be done to these old things.

I have another question...

So my fuel pump is spewing a mix of oil and gas out the breather tube. I went ahead and assumed the diaphram in the pump was torn. So I am replacing it. HOWEVER, my mix is 90% motor oil. I know this because my oil level dropped drasticly and the puddles on my garage floor barely smell of fuel. Its mostly oil. Anyway... The torn diaphram does not explain this amount of oil, right? So I am thinking there is either blockage somewhere in the oil line causing a sufficient pressure build up for oil to shoot, and I do mean SHOOT out of this breather tube in my fuel pump. I am going to start with the PVC valve, even though I don't know what that is yet. A site I found that explains the function of a mech. fuel pump recommended it. (Ack's FAQ Samurai 1.3 Mechanical Fuel Pump Symptoms - Gasoline and Oil Leaks at Vent Tube)
Any other ideas in case this doesnt work? I mean this isnt a small leak. I didnt test this, but I bet it woulkd spew out a quart of oil in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Inherited an 87 samurai... what the hell do I do with this piece of junk...

Before you yell at me I just ask that you hear me out...

My father in law gave us his 87 samurai (completely stock as far as I have been able to tell) a year and a half ago. He is still kicking but doesn't drive anymore. The car sat in my driveway until about a month or so ago when I decided to see if it would still run so I could sell it. With a little bit of coaxing it started up and I took it for a spin. It is in bad shape... all kinds of noises clattering and clanking, hit a bump and the speedo and gas gauge stop working, hit another bump and they come back to life... hit a bigger bump and crack my head on one of the two bars that are the only thing acting as a 'roof'... (in case you are wondering I live in Laos and the roads are, with few exceptions, 'bumpy') (to those geographically challenged people out there Laos is a small landlocked country in SE Asia nestled snugly between Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China and Myanmar). To my great surprise as I look into the rearview mirror that has been bounced askew I see my own face with a big $h!t eating grin on it... this thing is actually pretty fun to drive despite the 'roughness' of its current condition.

After 'the ride' I go do some surfing and see this whole world of suzuki owners out there and begin reading as much as I can. Been spending so much time online lately my wife probably thinks I am engaged in an online love affair... Needless to say the samurai won't be toting a for sale sign anytime soon... That being said the list of issues that need to be addressed seem endless. About the only thing I can say that is positive is that it does actually run. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I know how to change oil, sparkplugs and other simple things like that but I have never attempted to tackle any of the assorted problems that this samurai deserves to have fixed. So I would like to express my thanks to all of you for sharing your vast accumulated knowledge and experience in all things related to this little hunk of junk that I recently fell in love with... and I can't wait to hit the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Welcome!
Your story made me grin so hard it hurt. These things make us proud when we can show them off, but what it does for our inner child is even better. It's a toy we can have fun with without spending the kids college money... well, most of it anyway.
;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts