Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on my way home my 87 Sami developed a noise sounding like some sort of gear slippin when starting out in 1st gear and once torque is eleviated the noise subsided. Although I was nursing it quite a bit to make it home. So I did not press my luck to see how bad I could make it grind. I happened once or twice in the begining of second also but not as bad. I am looking for a place to start my search as the most likely cause. I know the bearings in my transfer case make a lil noise and I just got the rebuild kit and new gears for that. But the noise just doesn't seem like that. I am leaning towards the rear end diff but don't know how common this is with Sami's and how to diagnos without disassembling it first. Trying to keep guesswork to a mininmum. Thanx for any help someone may have.

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
The rear diff is probably NOT the issue, if noises are peculiar to starting out in first gear (sometimes 2nd) as you describe. :huh:

Maybe clutch, pilot bearing or trans input shaft related though.

I'd start with an underside inspection of gear oil levels / signs of leakage and "U" joint condition first off. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did the underside inspection. When it makes the noise, it feels like the driveline slips slightly. And audible from the rear portion of the vehicle. I will get someone to test it tomorrow while I am next to the vehicle. I disconnected the rear driveshaft and ran it in 4wheel hi and the noise was not present. Prior to removal it made the noise in all 3 transfer case positions. Thank you very much. Any other suggestions are very welcome. I don't want to tear apart anything that doesn't need to be

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still searching

Still looking for suggestions. I have searched the sight and the closest I have found similar was someone that crushed the side gear in the rear end. When I disconnected the driveshaft, the noise does not occur. Spider gear maybe???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts