Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased my 2 door convertable 1999 Suzuki Vitara with a 2.0, 4X4, 5 speed manual trans about 3 years ago. VIN # 2S3TA52C7X6104518. I do not know if it has California emissions or not? How can I find out? My Vitara gets about 25 mpg around town. It has about 180,000 miles and runs great but needs more horsepower like most of them do. I pull a motorcycle tent camper in the mountains of Colorado with it so more power is needed. A head wind also slows it down!
What is the best way to get more power? Swapping in a 2.5 V6 from a 1999 Vitara, installing a turbo charger or what? What is involved in each process and? I would think that a 1999 Vitara 2.5 V6 would be a factory parts swap as the 4 doors have this engine as an option??? If it is a turbo charger, which one will work? Thank you very much and I hope you all can help. Take care. Scott

·
Registered
223 Posts
You could go with an Aerio 2.3 which will give you at almost 30 more horsepower and is plug and play using your existing ECU, intake, exhaust, etc. That would be by far the easiest. People talk about big gains over the 2.0 with these. I am in the process of putting one from an 07 Aerio in my 97 Sidekick Sport that has a 1.8. These three engines, 1.8/2.0/2.3 all share the same block/head even though the 2.3 is in a front wheel drive sedan.

·
Super Moderator
17,825 Posts
Imo...

Rather than swap out engines or beef up that old 2.0, you'd be money and hassle time ahead if you just trade up to a more powerful vehicle to accompany your needs. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts