Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1999 Grand Vitara automatic transmission 6 cyclinder 4wd. The 4wd shifter is stuck in possibly the neutral position. The 4wd light on the dash is on but the front wheels are not engaged. Need help trying to figure out what is going on. Why is the shifter stuck and won't move? How do I get it to shift back to 2 wheel drive?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
The front wheels are engaged via a clutch in the front Diff, (air assist), if the light is on steady the diff should be locked The pump is under the front bumper..
The 4x4 function is achieved mechanically in the T/C..

Make sure the transmission is in either "N" or "P" with foot on brake, when attempting to shift from 4L to 4H, there should be no restriction from 4H to 2WD...

If the T/C is in the "N" position the vehicle will have no motive power to any wheel..

..... Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4wd shifter won't move 1999 Grand Vitara

I thought maybe it might be stuck in neutral but the rear wheels drive but the front wheels are not lock in even though the 4wd light is on. The light does flutter occasionally other wise it is constant. The shifter will not move forward or back to 2H. I have tried it in P and N, it makes no difference. It does move some side to side but that is all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mazie,
This can happen if the 4wd shift lever gets stuck between the shift rods. I had this happen and was quite simple to fix. You will need to remove the console around your sifters to access the boot covering the 4wd shift lever. Remove the boot. Remove the shift lever. Line up the shift rods and place the shift lever into the opening between the rods.
Reinstall everything. You should be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts