Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently restoring my 1998 vitara 1.6l petrol.
Does anbody know where i can buy a service manuel or can anbody forward me a link as to where i can download one.

Im also going to need to know what oils, the types and quantities for the engine, gearbox, transfers box and differencials.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,860 Posts
You more than likely have the SQ Series (2nd Generation Vitara) most prevalent starting in 1997 (1998 in your area I believe) and touted as the '1999-2005' model.

See the top FAQ thread! All the info and manuals you need are there.

Welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: Dezza746

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
In the UK, the SE series 1.6 Vitaras were available until around 2001, and the SQ series were known as Grand Vitaras

You can find the manuals at the link below, you'll the base manual along with the different supplements - I would just download the entire lot.

Rhinoman's Suzuki Service Manuals

·
Super Moderator
18,860 Posts
A picture of your ride or VIN number will help us to narrow down precisely what you have. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
In the UK, the SE series 1.6 Vitaras were available until around 2001, and the SQ series were known as Grand Vitaras
Not just UK, plenty of up to 2001 SE416 also in mainland Europe.

BTW, a story a suzuki mechanic told me is that at least in italy, people didnt even wanted to buy the ugly Grand Vitara with it's sad looking headlights until suzuki finally put the sharp and spunky looking SE416 out of production....

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
BTW, a story a suzuki mechanic told me is that at least in italy, people didnt even wanted to buy the ugly Grand Vitara with it's sad looking headlights until suzuki finally put the sharp and spunky looking SE416 out of production....
To be honest, the second gen is one of the few vehicles that I would have "bypassed" because of it's appearance, I was looking to get a third gen shortly after they were released, things didn't quite work out, so when I found a second gen at a good price I bought it, I now also have a third gen and have long recognized that the second gen is better suited to my needs. I've since bought a Jimny, and directly after that purchase one of my colleagues asked if I was going to sell the second gen, my reply was that he could pry the keys out of my cold dead hands.

There was also a point a few years back (and before the Jimnys were available here), when several of the guys at work were replacing their cars (my second gen is probably one of the older vehicles) and I remember thinking that even if I wanted to replace it, there was nothing on the market that I cared for.

It's my intention to keep that second gen for as long as I can source the required parts, the Jimny may eventually replace it, is a very capable vehicle, but it's juust a tad too small for my purposes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
To be honest, the second gen is one of the few vehicles that I would have "bypassed" because of it's appearance
Around 2005, I went to the Suzuki dealer in Albuquerque, thinking about replacing my 92 Sidekick. They didn't have any newer (used) Sidekicks and they tried selling me a Grand Vitara with the plush carpets, stylist looks, etc. I explained I was looking for a Sidekick replacement, something like a Jeep, a real 4WD I could climb old mountain roads and get dirty or muddy with. The salesman finally said, "Sounds like you're just looking for an ugly old box mounted on a 4WD chassis." I told him, "By Jove, I think you finally got it!" Needless to say, I still have my 92 ugly old box and don't think it's THAT ugly. More important, works well, doesn't mind getting dirty, and she always brings me home.

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
472 Posts
I'm glad it DIDN'T work out for you! It's not often that a salesman helps you make the RIGHT decision!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You can find the manuals at the link below, you'll the base manual along with the different supplements - I would just download the entire lot.

Rhinoman's Suzuki Service Manuals
Thanks, for getting back to me with a link.
The info was really helpful too. It cleared up the differences between the regular vitaras and the grands release time.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Reactions: Dezza746

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's a generic Harbor Freight -- HAULMASTER -- so I assume it is sold under other names at other places. They have other sizes. They still sell it. I got mine for $40 at a NEW ITEM special!!! This is the small version for up to 150 pounds -- it is the Goldilocks version for my Electric Blue Tracker, as you can see. (I painted over the HAULMASTER decal on the front with some black Rustoleum paint, as the sticker was impossible to remove. It adjusts to whatever bars you have on the roof:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/cargo-tie-downs/150-lb-capacity-roof-mounted-steel-cargo-carrier-64101.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's a generic Harbor Freight -- HAULMASTER -- so I assume it is sold under other names at other places. ...
Ah, sorry! And not to hijack the conversation,but I meant the portion mounted to the car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK. For my '91 Tracker it is a pair of Thule bars. They are designed to fit lots of different vehicles, but Thule (and similar) companies have adjustable bars for TONS of vehicles. Some are very inexpensive. The Thule bars I have are very sturdy -- but I got them about thirty years ago! The roof rack/carrier is only a couple of years old. I mainly bought it because it was SOOOOOO inexpensive -- and VERY well made.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK. For my '91 Tracker it is a pair of Thule bars. They are designed to fit lots of different vehicles, but Thule (and similar) companies have adjustable bars for TONS of vehicles. Some are very inexpensive. The Thule bars I have are very sturdy -- but I got them about thirty years ago! The roof rack/carrier is only a couple of years old. I mainly bought it because it was SOOOOOO inexpensive -- and VERY well made.
(Looks like I did hijack the thread after all. Apologies to the OP)
I'm hoping you have the model number of the Thule kit you bought so I can try eBay or craigslist. Barring that, it's going for a generic universal kit + hopes & prayers!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry, I bought it so long ago, I don't recall, but I'm sure that the major manufacturers of roof bars, etc. have websites where you just choose your make & model and they tell you what they have. You might end up with more options than you imagine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry, I bought it so long ago, I don't recall, but I'm sure that the major manufacturers of roof bars, etc. have websites where you just choose your make & model and they tell you what they have. You might end up with more options than you imagine.
I've had little luck from accessories manufacturers supporting discontinued products. Certainly not on their website, but I'll keep sleuthing and searching. Thanks anyway!(y)

Edit: did find some info on fit kits!
Seems a 152 will fit 400 series foot packs...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts