Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help! I bought this car to use on my farm. The car had been sitting for a while but it cranked right up with a new battery. The Ac clutch would not engage. Checked the freon it was low. Added freon and it cools good. My question is when i first get in the car and the engine is cold the compressor clutch will not enge untill the Coolant in the radiator has reached temp. to open the thermosta... ??????? it takes 4 or 5 minutes before the Ac get cold. Is this normal?

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
no not normal, you need to get gauges on it and confirm correct a/c charge. And system operation.
How did you know it was low? How did you determine how much to add? Did you add the correct refrigerant? Is it in fact something else that was the original cause of the a/c failure?
I hate home recharge kits, best way to destroy an a/c system in existence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on the system tag under the hood! I placed a vacuum on the system for one hour and checked for leakes. I then charged the system with the required 134a. The system cools great now. Just trying to understand why the clutch on the compressor does not engae when the system is turned on.

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Just trying to understand why the clutch on the compressor does not engae when the system is turned on.
There is a coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing that would normally disable the compressor clutch and turn on the condenser fan if an over heat condition is detected - this is normally an on/off switch type sensor, I believe if this has been replaced with a variable gauge style sensor, the system may behave as you're describing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm not sure if it has been replaced. should I replace the sensor? How do i know if it is the variable type? This is the snding unit that is in the thermostat housing correct?

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
There are or should be three temperature senders on the thermostat housing, one (I believe it has two wires) for the ECU, one for the gauge and the third for the a/c system.

Does the temperature gauge work properly? If you have a test meter you can test the gauge senders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The temp gauge appers to be working. it runs about half way when the thermostat opens at operating temperature. I was not able to work on the car yesterday. I will look at it this evening. Can you tell me how to test the seders? I have a test meter. I'm just not real versed on how to thest them. I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
I've attached an extract from the service manual - this shows you how to connect an ohm meter to the temperature gauge sender and put in a container of water with a thermometer and then heating the water.- what you're doing is watching the way the resistance changes as the water/sender gets hotter - it'll start at around 200 ohms with cold water and then go down as the water gets hot.

You may not need to remove the sender - hook up the meter with the engine cold and then start it and let it warm up - the sender for the gauge should have a yellow wire with a white stripe and should have the gradual change described above, the sender for the a/c should have a white wire and should have a clean switch from closed (low resistance) to open (high resistance).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts