Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so recently my girlfriend got a sidekick. I have been trying to find a repair manual, but most manuals are for 1989-1996. Will these work? Also, her crank pulley has a sever wobble that squeaks, and needs to be replaced before the belts start coming off. Is this pulley interchangeable with the Chevy/Geo tracker line up? Also, I would like to know what "body code" it is ex. JB416/JB420. If any one can provide me with any information provided above I would greatly appreciate it. The Sidekick appears to be in okay shape. With only one Check engine code, and some minor parts that need replacing. Thanks :D

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,250 Posts
Unfortunately you may have a bigger bite to chew..

The pulley is bolted to the timing cog, which is connected to the crank with the infamous crank bolt... If this bolt was not torqued to spec, it loosens, causing the wood-ruff key way on the crank snout to disintegrate/deform...

..... Philip

·
Registered
160 Posts
It should be a 16 valve. I bet they would intercange. Thats not what to worry about.... The front of the crank is!! Someone else will chime in with te proper repair, mine was fixed under warranty, and it was done poorly. It worked. The keyway is te weakest link in the hole driveline. Get it fixed sooner rather than later. Trust me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
unfortunately you may have a bigger bite to chew..

The pulley is bolted to the timing cog, which is connected to the crank with the infamous crank bolt... If this bolt was not torqued to spec, it loosens, causing the wood-ruff key way on the crank snout to disintegrate/deform...

..... Philip
see what i mean!!!!

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
The key way is not weak, its purpose is for static alignment ONLY.... The issue becomes critical when a slack/lazy/not up to date mechanic does not use a torque wrench to tighten this bolt to spec .....

..... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I appreciate the bad news. Luckily, I know a Gm expert I work with, and maybe I can get it fixed before worse happens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine the master mechanic loosened it while turning my engine backwards trying to do a cylinder leakage test. And i told him and the service manager. The manager said e couldnt do it backing te engine up. A week later it was running so bad i could hold te vehicle still with one foot out the door. Bad experiance i will never go back. They welded the crank with it in the car. It was under warranty still. Them basturds.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Okay I appreciate the bad news. Luckily, I know a Gm expert I work with, and maybe I can get it fixed before worse happens.
Definition: "expert" (ex-spert):eek:... A has been drip... Hope you friend is not one.. Most have enormous egos..

..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
Actually, sadly, GM has not supported this vehicle in over a decade - often you get far better support for it from Suzuki, as this car is just a rebadged Suzuki sidekick.
The crank pulley/keyway problem happens when someone mistakenly removes the center bolt on the crank pulley to replace a timing belt - 'experts' have been known to do this, as well - and this is not a necessary step. The crank bolt must be torqued to 94 ft/lbs. If the keyway is sheared (and that is the only problem) there is a Loctite fix for it, if the keyway has not been totally chewed up and crank snout not deformed. The original site for this fix is here:
Loctite Crank Fix - Part 1

Also, with the exception of some small things, the 1996 FSM will be appropriate for your car. It's actually free to download over on Acks FAQS:
Ack's FAQ 1996 Geo Tracker Factory Service Manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey I really appreciate the help. It's got s pretty severe wobble so I'll take a look at it, but I'm pretty sure the key way is gone beyond repair. Replacing the engine seems to be the cheapest route. How hard are they to find?

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Dont be to quick to condemn the old girl....

Tear down the front end and post a picture of the snout...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
Dont be to quick to condemn the old girl....

Tear down the front end and post a picture of the snout...

.... Philip
x2,3,4, etc.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I'll try to get it off over the couple days. Do I need to take the timing cover off or even the timing pulley to take a picture of it. Also, once I get it off my biggest fear is it isn't going to want to thread back in.

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
Yes, in order to get to the keyway you will need to remove the cover, timing belt, as well as the crank pulley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts