Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When I start my tracker I get a cloud of smoke. Blueish like oil burning. If it sits for a week or more it is really a cloud. It also used to stink before I replaced the catalytic converter. As a side note I don't seem to have a pcv valve. There is a brass elbow with a baffle plate in it the is plugged into the valve cover with a hose to the intake. Is this normal?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi,
When I start my tracker I get a cloud of smoke. Blueish like oil burning. If it sits for a week or more it is really a cloud. It also used to stink before I replaced the catalytic converter. As a side note I don't seem to have a pcv valve. There is a brass elbow with a baffle plate in it the is plugged into the valve cover with a hose to the intake. Is this normal?
no, it should have a PCV valve usually. What year, motor and trans?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Photo is of my '97 Tracker engine compartment. You can barely see the PCV valve & grommet at the valve cover location (red arrow).

https://postimg.cc/ygTvTMPM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1997 1.6L 4wd auto trans. I see Delco PCV valves that are a straight outlet. I have a custom hose with a tight 90° bend that wouldn't fit the outlet and if I a bent a hose it would be a very tight 180. Can't find an original diagram.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
Maybe upload a photo of your setup.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ranger,
That clears things up. I have a plastic cover over all of that area and hadn't seen it. You have a rag/towel stuffed into the elbow that I was thinking was where the PCV valve should have been.
That said if the PCV valve is stuck or bad would that cause all the smoke at startup?
Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That said if the PCV valve is stuck or bad would that cause all the smoke at startup?
Dan
it certainly won't be helping matters. if its stuck open all the oil and gunge gets sucked straight into the inlet and burnt. pull the hose at the inlet manifold end, if its oily, check the PCV and clean the pipe.

It could be valve stem seals, but look at the easy to get to and cheap repair / maintenance stuff first.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
" You have a rag/towel stuffed into the elbow that I was thinking was where the PCV valve should have been."

Yeah, the engine is on a stand for future use. I plugged/covered the holes with whatever was handy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts