Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I have a 1996 Suzuki Jimny (JDM) that I imported to Canada. Its been great up until last week when it shut off while idling an now won't start. Turns over but no combustion. I'd like to run diagnostics. Found the port to connect to but in the searches I've done, I can't determine the diagnostic tool/protocol or software to use to run diagnostics. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,744 Posts
It probably uses the Suzuki SDL protocols - a code reader/scanner may be difficult to locate, but it should be possible to get any codes with a jumper & the check engine light.

The Launch X431 family of readers should be compatible.

Suzuki Technical Articles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and links. I jumped B to D terminals and got a code 12 which tells me theres not fault. Guess I start troubleshooting why it won't start.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
start with a compression test
Does it try to start and run with starting fluid down the intake? No? Then does it have spark?
If Yes? Then look at fuel delivery
Start with the very basics first.
Does your one have a cam belt? Has it failed?

·
Super Moderator
13,744 Posts
Let me explain something that may be very important -you don't use the on board diagnostics to find a problem with the car, you use it to help locate a problem with the EFI system. Don't expect the OBD system to be able to tell you why the car isn't starting,

Old fashioned diagnostics is what's needed, you check for air, fuel & fire, the three things needed for combustion - air in terms of the engine's compression; fuel, in terms of fuel being injected; and fire in terms of spark at the plugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any special tools/guages for some of those tests. Will likely get it over to a shop at some point, just looking to eliminate a few possibilities. I suspect either the fuel pump or relay died. I've checked several relays but having trouble confirming which relay is the fuel relay. Didn't get any manuals with it and it's very hard to find much on line for the 660 cc turbo JImny's.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
in that case, try some starting spray down the intake, if it tries to start and runs as long as you spray, its likely fuel related.

·
Super Moderator
13,744 Posts
You would be surprised at how many tests can be done with basic tools - crank the engine over a few times and then remove a spark plug - is it wet? does it smell of gasoline? hold the plug against the cylinder head whilst cranking do you get a spark? Can you feel the "puff-puff" of air through the plug hole whilst cranking the engine?

These are basic tests that have been around since the advent of the internal combustion engine.

Reactions: mhall9150

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply's. Was away for a few weeks. I do have spark. Pretty sure it's a fuel pump problem. Just need to diagnose if the pump is shot or if power isn't getting to the pump. It was idling fine then just shut off like it ran out of fuel and then wouldn't start again. I thought I could access the fuel pump through the floor in the back but I don't see an access spot so guess the tank needs to be dropped?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news is that I think I sourced the problem. Removed rear bumper to have a closer look at wiring going to the pump and sender. Looks like it's been messed with before. Seems there is a yellow and black (ground) wire that is tapped into the power (pink) for the pump. When I mess with this connection and turn the key, I can clearly hear the pump turn on and the truck tries to start and does start but week. Seems this connection is the problem. No way I can get at it to try and fix without lowering the tank though. See pics. Does this look like a strange splice off the wires?

image_67367425.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts