Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Geo tracker will not move when I shift from Park to drive but if I put it in reverse it moves in reverse but if I put it back into drive it doesn't move but if I put it in the first it moves. I can also put it keep it first and manually shift through the gears and it will shift and it also downshifts but if I reach a certain speed like going around a corner it goes into neutral again, what could be the problem? Could it be bad shifting solenoids? bad filter? the fluid is not burnt it looks okay what could it be? please help. I plan on starting with changing the filter and the fluid

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Unplug the tcm coupler from the transmission if its shifting manually thru all the gears with it unplugged the trans is fine. If its acting up with the tcm connected then its diagnostic time. Filter and oil is always a good starting point, pay attention to anything in the pan when you remove it.

What's the level like?

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
First - the P, R, N,D selection is done using only the cable, the shift solenoids are only used to select between the forward gears after D has been selected. As 2013GV has suggested, if the transmission controller is disconnected, the vehicle can be shifted manually through the gears.

We are not there to see/hear what is happening, we rely on you for accurate information so little details may be important - the transmission can not go "into neutral" unless it is shifted via the cable.

If there is a transmission controller, shift solenoid or wiring issue it won't prevent the car from moving after D has been selected - it may be sluggish or laboring because it's in the wrong gear, but unless you're on a steep slope it should move, leading me to think you have internal transmission issues.

I'd start with the shift selector cable - make sure that is correctly adjusted, and then disconnect the transmission controller & test drive - if it cannot be driven by manually shifting the problem is internal to the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am currently trying to find a transmission controller module, I have change the transmission fluid and filter replace the fluid level to the correct level, it goes into reverse I backed it out of my driveway, I shifted it in drive and it acts like it tries to move but it will not move and the more I try to rev the engine it will not move ,I put it in first gear and it moves but it is very sluggish from a stop I have to give it extreme gas for it to get up to speed, it like catches up and then takes off and first gear then I can shift manually from first to second gear it shifts from second to drive it shifts and then from drive to overdrive and it shifts into overdrive ,but when I slow down to make it turn I give it the gas while it is in drive the transmission slips it's not going into neutral it just like is not engaging in gear,
so it appears to me that there is an internal transmission problem that I need to address if this is correct please reply with a response thank you.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,104 Posts
Your issue is not the controller, but an internal deficiency, either a pressure valve issue or the clutches, it will be the clutches for sure if you keep driving the slipping tranny..

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Or low oil....or clogged filter check and do not continue driving, you will fry clutch packs if you haven't already.

Do you know how to check the oil level properly?

·
Super Moderator
25,488 Posts
Again, see Fordem’s response above. Your issue is not the controller. You can actually disconnect the transmission controller, so that the transmission is just mechanical, rather than electronic, and see for yourself. Presumably your issue will remain, even with the controller disconnected. If your fluid level is correct, etc., perhaps the suggestion should be for you to bring it to a tranny shop for evaluation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts