Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine will not shut off when I cut the switch off. It revs up a couple of hundred rpms when i shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
24,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I believe that what you are describing is called ‘dieseling’. Some info on it here:
Have you done any diagnostic tests? Does the engine overheat? Give some info as to how the engine runs - what it does from cold start, what cold and warm idle is, what kind of power the engine has, your gas mileage, any bogging or hesitation while running, whether your check engine light is on with the key on and off when running, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
Grab a volt meter and see if there is power to the ignition coil when you switch the ignition off.

I doubt that that engine is dieseling, not if the revs are increasing when the ignition is switched off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it is not coughing or have indication that the timing is off, overheating or low power. I will grab a volt meter to check and get back with you. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I get it shut off by pulling the fuse, and putting the fuse back in, there is no power. The coil is sending power when it is running with the switch off, I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Check the main power relay, It may be sticking...

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
For those of us who can't see what you're doing, tell us - what is the "hard way"? Which fuse are you pulling to shut it off?

You'll also need to provide some more specifics - what engine do you have there - 8V or 16V?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the 16Valve Engine. I did pull the main power relay and it shuts down. I have one ordered, I will post to let you know

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
first off, is the relay coil being powered with the key off? if so, a new relay isn't going to fix it. Diagnose first before spending unnecessary money

·
Super Moderator
24,396 Posts
Pulling the main relay will shut the car off, regardless of whatever your problem is. It runs the ECU, and without the ECU, the car shuts down. That is not going to help you find your problem. You need to answer the question in post #3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Grab a volt meter and see if there is power to the ignition coil when you switch the ignition off. "
The answer to that would be no. Off course the coil if firing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled out what I believed to be the main relay, but maybe it is not. The relay that I pulled actually only made the engine shut off when the switch is in the off position. Weird thing is, with this relay out (which is located under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel) the Engine will crank and shut off as it should.

·
Super Moderator
24,396 Posts
You will have two identical relays to the left of the steering column, attached to the ECU. One is green which is the fuel pump relay. The black one Is the main relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this is the case, then when I pull the fuel pump relay, it starts and shuts off as it should.

·
Super Moderator
24,396 Posts
I don’t follow....you’re saying that with the fuel pump relay pulled, your engine starts? I assume you must be saying that when you pull the fuel pump relay, the engine stops, as it should - which is somewhat logical, as you have stopped fuel delivery. However, your initial problem appeared to be that with the fuel being deivered as it should, and with the ECU on line, as it should be, you turned your key off, and the engine continued to run. While pulling the main or fuel pump relay ‘solves’ your problem, I wouldn’t expect that either relay is the cause of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
Assuming the wiring to be correct and undamaged, If the fuel pump relay is removed, the car will not start or run for very long (if the relay is removed with the engine running) - that relay supplies power to the fuel pump, no power to the pump means no fuel to the engine, no fuel to the engine means it stops.

The same is pretty much true for the EFI main relay - it powers the entire EFI system and under normal circumstances if it is removed the engine will immediately die.

You need to quit pulling relays, and get yourself a volt meter - attempting to troubleshoot an electrical problem without one is like working blind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts