Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car 3 years.. put new starter, wires, plugs, radiator, hoses, tires,..always maintain fluids.. runs very well.. 3 weeks ago.. it started giving me trouble starting.. I would play with stick and pump the clutch a few times and it would start.. looked it up.. people on net talking about neutral Switch..so I bring it too my mechanic.. who works on GEO Trackers.. has them sitting in his shop.. but car does not act up.. it starts fine when I was there.. then it starts up again.. when its very Cold.. so it wouldn't start at all some times.. then it would.. Battery OK.. so I know it wasn't alternator... so I bring it back to AUTOZONE.. where I bought the Starter 2 years ago.. to have them put it On Machines. He hooked it up to battery.. Battery was at 145.. he told me.. starter was fine.. but it was my Voltage Regulator that is not . .in the Alternator.. but outside. costs almost 300. I said what? Wouldn't my battery be dead by now.. been going on for 3 weeks.. he said No.. then I go back to My Mechanic. He says No.. that parts guy don't know.. its the Neutral Switch .. bring it back Monday.. this all happened today Friday.. Has anyone had a problem like this.. and who is right. Autozone.. or Mechanic? THANK YOU.. IN ADVANCE! Cindy :)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,747 Posts
Only with proper diagnosis will you know...

1. Load test battery (in vehicle)
  2. Clean and secure main battery connections..
  3. Test for battery voltage at starter..Main battery feed..
  4. Test for 12vdc at spade connection on starter (when key to start)
  • If NO!, Check N safety and/or clutch switch
  • If yes! check solenoid on starter.. Then check AMP draw with Ampclamp meter
.... Philip

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,222 Posts
When you go to start, and press down the clutch pedal, does it crank or do nothing?? And if it does nothing, are your dash lights and gauges working?? If yes to the last question, you may want to check the clutch safety switch, which is on the firewall at the top of the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal depresses, and pushes in the little switch, which will allow the car to start. You can check this further by, when the car will not start, having the car in neutral, the parking brake on, and actually getting under the dash and pressing the button in, while you turn the ignition key. Yes, a bit of a contortion, but if the car now starts, you know that the clutch safety switch is to blame. It can be bypassed, replaced, or a 'redneck' fix (like mine) where I built up the pedal so that the switch would depress.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D:DTHANK YOU FOR ALL UR ANSWERS.. I had the Neutral Switch Bypassed today.. But Yesterday before it was bypassed..I heard a real fast clicking sound..under the dash.. far left by the clutch.. I thought it was the neutral Switch. Mechanic was in a Hurry. He bypassed it. and I had to go to Work. No Need to Hit the Clutch to Start. and it starts right up.. But the Clicking sound is still under. like a crunchy sound too(No its not the Normal Click. I hear from the Dash.(the Computer) since I Bought the Car.) and My Blinkers can not Works Sometimes. and brake light stays on.. As of Recent.. maybe the Brake Fluid.. Checkin that in the Morn.. But Could the man at AUTOZONE be Right. is it my Voltage Regulator? Everytime I Do a Search on that part.. an Alternator Pops Up.. is there a Voltage Regulator on that Car or what? My Mechanic works on GEOs he as 3 of them sitting in his Yard.. he is a bit Lazy.. even tho I tip him very Well. He said No.. he never heard of Voltage Regulator on these Trackers... Does Anyone Know THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ITS A 1995 GEO TRACKER LSI 2DR Convertible 5 Speed Manual 4WD 1.6 4 Cylinder Sorry I didn't put that.. and I have a new question attached to my first.. THANK YOU

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,747 Posts
The man at AutoZone is talking out his rear end..

The regulator is in the alternator, If you had performed the tests I first prescribed you would know if the battery was charged and thus if the ALT is working....

...... Philip

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Autzone guy did test it last week.. he hooked up the Meter to my battery.. the battery was at 145.. he said the starter was OK..then he said Voltage Regulator was no Good.. and not in the alternator but outside.. and pulled it up on his computer in the store .. It $270.. so. I drove it too my mechanic. he said no.. its the neutral switch.. he disconnected it.. yesterday morning.. now it starts great without using the clutch.. now I hear that ticking sound under the dash .. near my left leg.. I heard it before he disconnected it.. Saturday and Sunday.. and its still doing it.. My Car was really wet inside last week.. we had bad Rain.. and it got in on Driver Floor.. everything was soaking.. now im gonna go under there with a flashlight and see exactly where that ticking is from.. I got a box of new fuses and a new fuse cover.. cause mine was gone.. IDK.. what it is.. This problem starting was going on for 3 weeks.. and the battery stayed charged...I thought that the clicking sound was the Neutral Switch. but now that its Disconnected.. I don't know what it is..
NOW >> Its morning.. damp and a little chilly.. this car hates cold.. but..Now.. When I start it.. I turn the key.. dash lights go on.. then..nothing.. just a click.. did it a Few Times and it Started... but during the day.. when Ive been running it.. it starts right up.. its when I leave it for long periods of time. that it gives me a hard time starting.. I have had this car for three years.Never a prob starting... put in a starter two years ago.. and new battery last year.. with new terminal connectors.. I ran it just now.. and waited for the ticking under the Dash.. Nothing but the Normal Computer Click..

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Ignore the Autozone guy - like Phil says, the voltage regulator is in the alternator, and if the battery is at 14.5 volts it's probably good.

Disconnecting the neutral switch won't stop it from clicking, BUT, the neutral switch will only click when you move the clutch - as in depress the clutch, one click, release the clutch, another click, and so on - repeated clicking is going to be a relay.

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
By-pass all control circuit wiring to test the starter by applying 12V+ jumpered from the battery right to this white spade connection (pulled just away in pic) on the starter solenoid shown here and suggested in post #2... ;)

This eliminates any possible control circuit switchs, wiring or relay issues.

Make SURE that you are in neutral.

V-6 shown, but other starters are the same.

·
Super Moderator
24,222 Posts
Is your check engine light on with the key on and off once the car is running? You have two relays by your left knee under the dash - a black one which is the main relay connected to the computer, and a green one which is the fuel pump relay. If either of these were bad, you would most probably know it (the car probably wouldn't start). But you also have the turn signal relay which is mounted on to the ECU, (which is basically behind your left front speaker). Do your turn signals work?
It is fairly easy, by the way, to see if your alternator is working properly - if you have a voltmeter. See Aqua's post, #4 here:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/85473-battery-alternator-issues.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts