Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive recently bough this car for my dad.. its parked up for the last few years..
it had a leaking water pump and it was overheating.. so today i changed the water pump and timing belt..
i presumed this would fix both the leak and the overheating..
however the engine is still getting very hot..
where would be my next port of call to try alleviate this problem..
im thinking it may be a stuck thermostat or dodgy radiator.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
How hot is "very hot"?
When does it get "very hot"?
What makes you think it's "over heating"?

And, yes, those are serious questions - my first intent is to get you to understand, that you have given us very little detail to work with - my second is to get you to think about what you're posting. What evidence do you have that the temperatures you are seeing should be described as "over heating"? Do you even know how hot it's getting - hint - the gauge has no numbers - and that's by design.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hot is "very hot"?
When does it get "very hot"?
What makes you think it's "over heating"?

And, yes, those are serious questions - my first intent is to get you to understand, that you have given us very little detail to work with - my second is to get you to think about what you're posting. What evidence do you have that the temperatures you are seeing should be described as "over heating"? Do you even know how hot it's getting - hint - the gauge has no numbers - and that's by design.
hi foredem when i put my infrared digital thermometer on the thermostat it was reading 96 degree celsius ..
and you could hear the water gurgling and make all sorts of noises in the system when i parked up..
also the engine is heating up a lot faster than my other escudo that i own
the needle on the dash also reads very high almost up near the red when driving for a while

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
WHEN did you get that 96* celsius reading?
Was that gurgling when parked with the engine idling? If so it suggests that the cooling system has air in it.
Has there been any "boiling over" or loss of coolant?
Was the "driving for a while", a short while, a long while, in traffic on a freeway?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHEN did you get that 96* celsius reading?
Was that gurgling when parked with the engine idling? If so it suggests that the cooling system has air in it.
Has there been any "boiling over" or loss of coolant?
Was the "driving for a while", a short while, a long while, in traffic on a freeway?
i got the 96 degrees after coming back from driving it parked it up and checked it when i heard the gurgling noise when parked up
after changing the timing belt i took it for a spin beside my house down into rough terrain and got stuck.. thats where i found out my 4x4 hubs were stuck.. i presumed it had automatic hubs like my other escudo..
i wasnt driving more than 30 miles per hour on the road

its not boiling over or losing coolant
i will check coolant levels in a few minutes.. top up if needs be and go for a drive again..

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
Be very careful about not overheating this engine. You don’t specify anything about testing the thermostat, coolant level, etc. I’d probably start simple - flush the radiator, change the coolant, test the thermostat to see if it opens properly, make sure that you have the proper thermostat and gasket for the vehicle - presumably this is either the 91 or 94 Escudo in your signature, which would need the rubber gasket for the thermostat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be very careful about not overheating this engine. You don’t specify anything about testing the thermostat, coolant level, etc. I’d probably start simple - flush the radiator, change the coolant, test the thermostat to see if it opens properly, make sure that you have the proper thermostat and gasket for the vehicle - presumably this is either the 91 or 94 Escudo in your signature, which would need the rubber gasket for the thermostat.
hi bex its the 1994 escudo that we just purchased..
i havent a cue what thermostat is in it.. i will strip it later and see..
coolant level is fine however i will check again later once i have the hubs cleaned
will pop to the auto factor and buy gasket sealant as i will need it for the hubs also

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
If you have the slightly deeper well thermostat housing, the thermostat uses a 4mm rubber gasket that fits around the perimeter of the thermostat. For other areas where you’d need a paper gasket, which are usually really difficult to find here, I just buy gasket material at the auto factors, and make my own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the slightly deeper well thermostat housing, the thermostat uses a 4mm rubber gasket that fits around the perimeter of the thermostat. For other areas where you’d need a paper gasket, which are usually really difficult to find here, I just buy gasket material at the auto factors, and make my own.
cheers bex i removed the thermostat housing and i could see the thermostat sitting in the engine with a black rubber around the outside.. i tried to remove it but it was stuck so i didnt pull to hard as i havent got a replacement thermostat. if i remove the thermostat and the engine runs but doesnt overheat.. would that lead me to believe the thermostat is dodgy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so while i have so mush time at the moment..
i took out the thermostat and ran the engine it still seems to warm up very fast..
after turning the engine off the radiator didnt seem very hot apart from the very top of it..
so i will swap radiators tomorrow and see what happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts