Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1993 jlx vitara just changed clutch out and went to start and was dead. I have charged battery and have no dash lights at all and cranks but no start. Radio works head lights work. 3 main fuses in engine bay the 60,50,40 fuses are OK and fuses OK in foot well. Please help ASAP

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
check carefully. What connections have you disturbed? the symptoms all point to a main feed or ground missing.The fact you have radio suggest you have power to the ignition switch. Do you have power to the "IGN" contact with switch on?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I assume that you checked the position of the dash light pot. (The knob on the dash.) Simple things.

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
Carefully check your ignition coil fuse - you need power going into that fuse, as well as going out of it. If the ig-coil fuse is blown, the engine will crank but not start, and you’ll have no dash lights.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
"... ignition coil fuse - <snipped> and you’ll have no dash lights."

Looking at my diagram, ignition fuse (#18, below the headlight fuses #11 & 12, left end of the block), does power lots of things. Including the coil, DRL, charging system, gauges and lots more. This could easily be the cause of a "crank but does not fire" issue. The OP would be good to double check it.

Note that Fuse 18 only has power with the ignition switch on or start.

But I don't see any connection of fuse #18 to the dash lights. The power comes from a different fuse in both fuse panels. (#13 and #3.) But I do notice that #13 is listed as powering the "Electronic Fuel Injection System", on some models. It also powers clearance lights (and dash lights), radio and lighter, along with the LOTS of other items. The OP would be good to double check it also.

This fuse #13, has power at all times.

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
The black/white wire coming out of the ig-coil fuse runs the instrument panel cluster- tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge - wasn’t sure if that’s what the poster meant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts