Suzuki Forums banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
the speedo will have a magnet to make the reed switch operate, I'm not familiar with it, but the connection should be part of the cluster and tie into the loom at the plug thats connected already. You may have to replace the cluster, I am not sure if the VSS can be added to a non-VSS speedo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I believe you can, as samurai's that have efi sidekick swaps install vss sensors in the factory samurai speedo. They have to run a jumper wire to the signal on the ECU though. In my case, the flexi pcb board should have a contact built into it for the vss. I'll have to pull my cluster tomorrow and check.

Downside to figuring all this out is that I can't source a gauge cluster or vss for the life of me. My one option seems to have fallen through. Would anyone here happen to have a good condition vss?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
toss an advert in the classifieds, section, someone out there will have one somewhere

worst case, if the flexi board doesn't, it should be simple to run a wire to the main loom, the wire should be at the plug should it not? yours had the vss originally I think you said.

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Some photos on this blog here, along with explanations that might help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Thanks for the information, folks! Without pulling the cluster, I've now found that all X90 sidekick clusters have VSS contacts built into the flexi-board. On non-VSS models (89-91?), the contact is still there but isn't "cut" for a screw to go through. So it looks like I can still utilize the cluster that's in the car. However, I may need to use a jumper to the contact points if the VSS doesn't mount in the correct spot for that year of cluster. Otherwise, I may just have to jumper it to the signal wire from the back of the A12 connector. See pic below:

The funny thing about this issue, is the vehicle drives just fine and doesn't seem to be in a limp home mode. Oh well, I'd rather eliminate this fault and have my peace of mind back.

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Without a VSS, your computer will revert to a pre-programmed set of values, rather than how the car is actually moving. Just curious, what kind of gas mileage do you get??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
To date, I'm unsure. I haven't driven the vehicle for over a month since all these problems occurred. However, I just filled up the tank so I'll know what mpg's I'm getting soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Update: getting 22 mpg :/

On the plus side, I managed to locate a gauge cluster locally and snagged the VSS. After installing and clearing codes, the CEL is now off!

It seems like I'm nearing the end of the road in terms of repairs! The only remaining issue is the high beam indicator not working (already changed bulbs). Oh well, minor details.

Thanks to all that have helped!

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
It will be interesting to see if your mileage improves after a bit, now that you have the VSS installed.....Glad you got all sorted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It looks like my mileage has actually decreased. I'm now getting about 19 mpg mixed highway/city. I do a lot of stop and go, so that's probably not helping.

I still seem to have a slight misfire, as the engine shakes periodically at idle and I can feel it through the shifter. Rpm at idle is a solid 800, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting such poor mileage. I have no CEL's and ECU reads ready code 12.

I did notice that I have quite a bit of crankcase pressure when opening the oil cap. Maybe my pcv is bad? I did take it off and it seems to be working (it allows air to be drawn through).

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
check the basics, timing, compression and plugs/leads etc. once they are all confirmed as good, hopefully the misfire will disappear then you can start working on the economy side of things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Did that. Timing has been quadruple checked, new plugs, new wires, new distributor, compression at 180 across the board.

I should add, this sidekick has 235/75/15 off road tires, a 2 inch coil spacer lift, and a thule roof rack with no wind deflector. I also may have more of a lead foot than I'd like to admit.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
well, thats going to crush the economy for sure. The tyres alone will do that, and the roof rack certainly adds a couple of mpg to the losses. I notice just the bars on the GV, and they are Suzuki designed aero shaped and still impact the economy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I figured it would, but wasn't sure how badly it would impact it.

The misfire at idle is still slightly annoying.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
The misfire at idle is still slightly annoying.
yeah, they sure are, finding it will take time and perseverance. is it a random misfire? or reasonably consistent? as in does it miss a bit then come right then miss a bit while idling? or is it a "does it one day and not the next" sort of thing?
When its missing, what happens if you open the oil filler cap?

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Post the exact results of your compression test, cylinder by cylinder. Do it dry and wet. Make sure you floor the gas pedal when cranking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The miss is consistent in terms of it occurs every time I drive the vehicle, but it's only noticeable at idle. I'll get a little shake of the engine and the idle will move from 800 rpm to 900 rpm and then back down.

I'll do another compression test later this week. I'm wondering if I'm slightly off on valve timing, which would suck as I'd need to tear apart the front end of the car again.

I did clean the EGR a while back, but I have no idea if it works. I do know the EGR won't operate without a VSS and the vehicle seems to run the same as when I didn't have a VSS. Maybe the EGR is dead. I'll do the stall test later today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Haven't had a chance to do a compression test, but I did the EGR stall test. While I've cleaned the valve and can physically move the diaphragm, the car did not stumble at all during the live test. So, me thinks the actual ports behind the valve are clogged as I didn't clean those.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Good indication its blocked somewhere. I bet its caked solid and you will be chiselling the carbon out of the head.

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Yep, if the stall test doesn’t knock down the idle, then the ports are clogged. Carb cleaner, reaming them out, and, if you can get it, a few applications of Techron, should help.

81 - 100 of 154 Posts