Suzuki Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I flipped the switch with no luck, then simply unplugged it, with no luck. Light still stuck on.

This may have something to do with why the PO removed the CEL bulb.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Can you get it to flash any codes?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
You can just unplug (remove) the nag switch. All it does is supply a ground when it wants to nag you. Removing it, no ground and no nag.
I thought it was a 3 wire switch switching the common to one of 2 positions to reset the check engine light. Removing it will leave the light hard on with no way of resetting it.

·
Super Moderator
23,731 Posts
Personally, I don’t understand why anyone removes the nag at all. Once you find it the first time, it’s simple to find it again and flip the switch.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
While I would not pull anything apart just to disconnect it, I personally don't understand why anyone who has the gage cluster out would reconnect it.

It doesn't effect anything else when disconnected. It interferes with the other functions of the CEL when left connected when the mileage switch trips -and- you never have to "flip it" again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
While I would not pull anything apart just to disconnect it, I personally don't understand why anyone who has the gage cluster out would reconnect it.

It doesn't effect anything else when disconnected. It interferes with the other functions of the CEL when left connected when the mileage switch trips -and- you never have to "flip it" again.

You must have a different year or model. My 92 vitara does not have a plug at the cluster. Instead, it is wired directly to odometer itself. The only plug is under the dash where it connects to the nag switch.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You must have a different year or model. My 92 vitara ...
Different year, model AND market. (The Vitara name wasn't used here until '99.)
That pic is from a '94 Tracker, but the '94 Sidekick dash right next to it in my garage is the same.

A set of dikes (wire cutters) can fix the lack of a connector issue! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
My Vitara is a left hand drive German import. So, basically a 16v tracker.

I disconnected the nag switch from the odometer and it's still defaulting to CEL. I've pulled the dome fuse and it still hasn't reset. I'm going to attempt to pull a code again, but last time I got no codes. (Besides the ready code).

Maybe a hard reset with the battery disconnected is in order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well, this time I got a code 24. Clear as day. This is the vehicle speed sensor.

Since I already had the cluster loosely installed, I took it back out to inspect for bad traces and found none. Also, I shouldn't get this code while sitting in my driveway (should be moving? Is my understanding)

Edit: it also appears that I don't have a vss.

20191208_111959.jpg 20191208_111937.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Sorry for the double post, but I think I've stumbled across some interesting stuff.

1. The code on my gauge cluster/head is 61A80 (with an NZ) next to it. According to KickFix's cross reference list, this part number doesn't exist. Hahah!

2. I have no VSS and the VIN states 92 Vitara.

So my guess is this. A previous owner swapped in a gauge head with no VSS (89) and the check engine illuminated. They likely thought this was simply due to the gauge swap, so they removed the CEL bulb.

Unfortunately, it seems I need VSS on this EFI vehicle (despite the car running great now) and I'll have to find a gauge head with this to eliminate the fault.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
VSS is inbuilt in the speedo. this will account for the CEL. should have a code tho, altho it might not be smart enough to tell you that the VSS signal is missing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm now pulling a code 24 (for the vss). So likely, the PO had malicious intent and put in an older cluster to advertise lower mileage :(

Hopefully I can find a gauge cluster locally to swap in a vss

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
yay, progress is being made

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I doubt that the lack of a VSS would cause no spark. (The subject of this thread.)

I assume it ran at some point before. Or has this been addressed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
All running issues related to no spark have been resolved. Now it's the vss code 24 issue

61 - 75 of 75 Posts