Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently overhauled the 8 valve 1.6 engine and fitted new clutch.
But when refitting the starter motor it will not turn engine.
I can turn engine by hand on pulley using ratchet although it is quite tight!!!!
The starter solenoid is working ok.
When I stripped the engine there is an adapter plate that fits between bell housing and
Rear engine block. Could this interfere with alignment if it's not fitted correctly
It looks ok to me but maybe I'm missing something,,,,,,
Any ideas as I've spent a couple of days trying to get the motor to turn with no success.
Thank you in advance.
Colin (The apprentice)
West Australia

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
See the sticky thread: "Attention: Please read this before you post below! What car are you driving?"
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...42-attention-please-read-before-you-post.html

IIRC: The G16 automatic has a thicker spacer under the flex(drive) plate and a thinner plate under the bolt heads. If incorrect, it could put the teeth on the flexplate not where the starter needs them. I do not know if the spacers are same is for a flywheel (clutch).

What does the starter do when you try it. Click? Clank? Werrr?
How is your battery?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
Hi
I recently overhauled the 8 valve 1.6 engine and fitted new clutch.
But when refitting the starter motor it will not turn engine.
Colin (The apprentice)
West Australia
If you replaced the crank bearings, they may be too tight... remove sparks and try spinning the engine over.... This may seat them without any shearing....

....Philip

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
FYI:

The factory bearings are installed and then line bored to fit the crank..

It is imperative when working on these engines to ensure the bearing bore is aligned and miced to fit..

..... Philip

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Hey max, there are seven, is that for a 4 or six cylinder..motive power ??

miced as in mic= micrometer....

or the use of plastigauge...

.....Philip

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
They're a cheesy little outfit.

Hey max, there are seven, is that for a 4 or six cylinder..motive power ??
That's the whole Blue Star team. They work in two shifts of three (with one current trainee), so you don't know which particular Mice-Techs will be on the job. They can handle single to 16 cylinders though!

It ain't easy holding, turning and recording the readings for the little guys.
But they get the job done. :rolleyes:

Tough working conditions prevail. Their biggest threat is the QA Inspector...

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
The engine was apart for about 9 months ...
I've also got a replacement starter motor from wrecker but same issue.
It cranked over before engine strip?..
New battery too
This is all passe', once the engine is opened nothing applies....

are you going to roll it over by the crank bolt to ease it in??

We cant help if you dont follow advice and report back...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
So many things to consider. Was the engine bored and properly fitted to the new piston size? Ring gaps filed / fitted? Crank assembly OK, turned to check for tightness, then the same procedure for fitting the con rods during assembly? All spun freely prior to cam install / test spun by hand? And so on, all engine rebuilding 101. :huh:

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
engine rebuilding 101.
Too late for that....

Had a Volvo (Marine 1800) that a shadetree buttoned up too tight, spun it by hand (ratchet and socket) for 2 days before it was loose enough for the starter....

.... Philip

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The engine was apart for about 9 months ...
I've also got a replacement starter motor from wrecker but same issue.
It cranked over before engine strip?..
New battery too
I would be checking the battery cables at both ends to make sure they are clean AND tight also. IF you can wiggle them by hand or see any white/powdery stuff that is no good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So many things to consider. Was the engine bored and properly fitted to the new piston size? Ring gaps filed / fitted? Crank assembly OK, turned to check for tightness, then the same procedure for fitting the con rods during assembly? All spun freely prior to cam install / test spun by hand? And so on, all engine rebuilding 101. :huh:
Hi
engine build done correctly.
Bored out with match pistons and rings.
Crank bearings and journals standard, no requirement for grinding and oversize.
I will pull the starter out again and take it back to wreckers.
He told me that the only difference between the Sierra and the Vitara was the motor cap that bolts to the block. He actually removed the old one and fitted it to the replacement motor.
Crazy situation I know but really wanna get it solved as I'm fixing up the Vitara for my daughter.
Thanks for your assistance

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I will pull the starter out again and take it back to wreckers.
He told me that the only difference between the Sierra and the Vitara was the motor cap that bolts to the block. He actually removed the old one and fitted it to the replacement motor.
Mechanics I know would test their work after an installation. IF he did then it would have worked. Which means it is something else?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.