Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I’m having an issue with my Jimny, and I’m hoping someone here can help me figure it out. It is a ‘92 JDM import with the F6A motor, and only 60,000km on it. It’s very clean, so I don’t know why it’s misbehaving this early.

So,in 1st and 2nd gear, no real issue. It revs and accelerates normally. Once you start demanding anything beyond parking lot speeds, however, it feels...bogged down? It’s trying to go faster, but it’s agonizingly slow, as if I had shifted into 5th way too early. And going above 80km/h now is impossible without a downhill run. And going uphill? Forget it. Whatever’s holding it back means that you can’t even hold speed on an uphill.

I swapped the fuel filter, thinking it might be starving it (as well as the air filters and such), and flushed everything. No dice. I had it looked at by a local Suzuki dealer, and everything SEEMS fine. The timing is fine, it holds boost and blows off fine, it idles normal, the shifting is positive, it holds vacuum pressure fine, exhaust isn’t clogged, and the only thing even remotely wrong we could see at a glance was some deposits in the rotor cap (and I plan on swapping the cap, rotor, plugs and wires to be safe). At a glance, there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong, but the power isn’t making it to the wheels. It was fine a few months ago, but got progressively worse over the winter months.

Frankly, I just want to be rid of this damn car. I can’t afford a complete tear down, but I can’t sell this thing without fixing this issue. So perhaps someone here can help me solve this.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
Although you state the exhaust is OK, I would further check for a restricted exhaust,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although you state the exhaust is OK, I would further check for a restricted exhaust,,
I had it in a shop that caters to the JDM/Tuner crowd (even the Suzuki dealer here has no experience with these, so why not?), and they did actually crack the exhaust, suspecting that issue. They tested it with the exhaust detached, and it made no difference.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Great so far. I would at this point use an in cylinder pressure sensor and get a waveform of the engine function, this is where the use of a DSO (scope) comes in handy.. Without this type of diagnostics we would be relegated to guess work... and throwing parts at it..

Again as per the ignition side of things I would record the primary and secondary wave forms.. before changing ignition parts.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Check the basics, compression test dry and wet, when did it get plugs? leads? I know you are swapping them, good maintenace is required on these wee things. Philip was posting as I was typing this, but plugs are a maint item and should be changed as specified..

I am assuming this is the F6A turbo? if it is, what do you mean by "it holds vacuum pressure fine"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great so far. I would at this point use an in cylinder pressure sensor and get a waveform of the engine function, this is where the use of a DSO (scope) comes in handy.. Without this type of diagnostics we would be relegated to guess work... and throwing parts at it..

Again as per the ignition side of things I would record the primary and secondary wave forms.. before changing ignition parts.
That sounds quite out of my reach in my home garage. Is this something your typical tuner shop can do?

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
That sounds quite out of my reach in my home garage. Is this something your typical tuner shop can do?
they should know this and be able to do it as part of the diagnostic process

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Hold it, hit the reset button....

I reread you first info post.. Have a couple of questions...

You report timing OK! What timing are you reporting, Engine mechanical or ignition ??
You checked compression, What are the numbers ??
Ran the engine with exhaust disconnected, How did you feed the air?? turbo disconnected !!
Do you have anyone close that understands engines ??
They all work the same, suck, squeeze, Bang and blow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hold it, hit the reset button....

I reread you first info post.. Have a couple of questions...

You report timing OK! What timing are you reporting, Engine mechanical or ignition ??
You checked compression, What are the numbers ??
Ran the engine with exhaust disconnected, How did you feed the air?? turbo disconnected !!
Do you have anyone close that understands engines ??
Excuse me, I do know a bit about engines, enough to handle basic maintenance, thank you very much.

Mechanical timing was checked with a light. I didn’t get any numbers for compression yet. And no, they didn’t rip the turbo off to check for a plugged/obstructed exhaust, that wouldn’t make sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the basics, compression test dry and wet, when did it get plugs? leads? I know you are swapping them, good maintenace is required on these wee things. Philip was posting as I was typing this, but plugs are a maint item and should be changed as specified..

I am assuming this is the F6A turbo? if it is, what do you mean by "it holds vacuum pressure fine"
It’s fair to assume these are the original plugs and wires, given the low mileage and general lack of maintenance beyond keeping it clean and nice.
It is the F6A Turbo. I suspected a vacuum leak, as I know those lines can easily wear with age, so I had it checked, but no, all the lines are in fine shape, surprisingly.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
So they did not verify engine timing? If the static engine timing is off, the ignition timing would be irrelevant.
I had it in a shop that caters to the JDM/Tuner crowd (even the Suzuki dealer here has no experience with these, so why not?), and they did actually crack the exhaust, suspecting that issue. They tested it with the exhaust detached, and it made no difference.
Regards the turbo, it runs off the exhaust gasses, you state they ran the engine with the exhaust manifold disconnected, if so how did the turbo spin up ?

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Excuse me, I do know a bit about engines, enough to handle basic maintenance, thank you very much.
There was no question about your basic skill level, but this seems to be beyond basics, or I am mistaken that you no longer require assistance..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So they did not verify engine timing? If the static engine timing is off, the ignition timing would be irrelevant.

Regards the turbo, it runs off the exhaust gasses, you state they ran the engine with the exhaust manifold disconnected, if so how did the turbo spin up ?
The exhaust part is utterly irrelevant now. They were merely checking for any obstruction or blockages.

Goodness, I wish these more knowledgeable Suzuki types were out in my neck of the woods. Even the Zuki tech I asked about it at the dealership had zero knowledge or experience with the F6A.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Goodness, I wish these more knowledgeable Suzuki types were out in my neck of the woods. Even the Zuki tech I asked about it at the dealership had zero knowledge or experience with the F6A.
You obviously missed the point, all engine work the same, regardless of the numerical designation..( F6A.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You obviously missed the point, all engine work the same, regardless of the numerical designation..( F6A.)
Hmph, fair enough. I don’t know what you want though. I guess all I can do now is have the above posted checks done and switch the plugs and such like I planned to anyway.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Number one, you need to verify the mechanical timing, not the ignition timing, BASICS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I’m going to swap the plugs and wires and such like I said. Then I’ll have the waveform and such tested like buddy said above. With such a low km count on it though, it’s a mystery why something would go.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Dont resist, read post 16 again...

If you dont want to follow the BASIC diagnostic steps, tell me and I will disappear...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont resist, read post 16 again...

If you dont want to follow the BASIC diagnostic steps, tell me and I will disappear...
I have no means to check mechanical timing myself, and I’ve already ordered the plugs and such. I’ll have to find a shop to check the timing.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
follow these steps..

Remove all plugs,
Rotate engine till #4 is TDC, compression stroke
Check that the mark on the crank pulley is at the TDC mark...

Report your findings.. what you report will affect the next steps..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts