Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I changed plugs , wires, air filter, alt belt and car ran good. today my wife drove maybe 2 miles and it died while driving. I showed up and the coil wire was off of the coil. I re plugged it in, and turned the key and only dash light symbols came on, I can hear a click like a relay under the dash, but the car won't crank. I changed back to the old (knowingly good) coil wire and still nothing. I checked all fuses and they all seem to be fine, the battery terminals look fine, have not checked starter yet, but why would it not crank if just the coil wire came off? it should still crank even if the wire is gone right?

please help, my wives stress is pretty high and mine is getting there :eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
The coil wire has nothing to do with whether or not it will crank.

First thing I'd check are the battery terminals. They might look fine but are they actually tight? I've had the same thing happen twice in the last year. It will start great one minute, next time nothing but a click. Worried it was the starter but both times the battery terminals had worked loose even though I keep them clean, and no problems at all after that, at least for another 8 months on beat up Michigan roads.

If that's not it, then possible that it could be the starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tlctracker..thank you!

I just got home with the tracker, tried jumping it and nothing happened, but pushed it and it started right up! Im hoping it isnt a switch and not the starter, i hate doing work not necessarry. I will try a new starter i guess. thanks again

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
Why not use a jumper on the starter, from the main lug to the small spade connection, if starts. not starter.... Then check the safety interlock switch..

.... Philip

·
Registered
339 Posts
tlctracker..thank you!

I just got home with the tracker, tried jumping it and nothing happened, but pushed it and it started right up! Im hoping it isnt a switch and not the starter, i hate doing work not necessarry. I will try a new starter i guess. thanks again
Diagnose the problem, don't just throw parts at it!

It could be something as simple as a misadjusted clutch switch. Check the clutch switch with an ohmmeter when the pedal is up and then when it's depressed to determine if there's continuity. If it's okay, check for voltage at the starter solenoid while someone is holding the ignition switch to the start position. Eliminate the simple to repair items first, step by step.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed, if your battery terminals are good and tight then I'd look into the starter. Not necessarily just go out and buy one and try it, unless time and money is no object. Do you have a multitester? It can save you a lot of time and money and headache with things like this.

Also agreed about easy to diagnose things first. Do you have ice buildup or a floor mat wadded up under the clutch pedal that is not letting it go down all the way and engage the switch? (I'm at -20F as I speak and would rather tighten terminals or listen for a click than chip ice off my floor!)

Since your battery isn't completely dead and jumping it made no difference, I'd think that is ok. As long as it's over 12 volts. I've had them go bad suddenly before.

If that's good, then I'd determine where you hear the clicking from. Easier if someone else is turning the key and you listen close and feel around to find it. (Be careful in case all of a sudden it starts!!)

If the starter is not what's clicking, then it's time to look into the starting circuit. Could be interlock switch at clutch, ignition switch, ignition fuse, wiring.... or the starter solenoid which can be checked like Byron said. I'd check that first and if voltage is good, the rest of the circuit is good and the solenoid is likely shot but I would check out the cables first like I described below. If no good then time to look into the the starting circuit.

If it is clicking from the starter, then the solenoid is working along with the rest of the starter circuit that makes the solenoid work. So then it would be the starter or the cable to it, or possibly a bad ground. Make sure the cable from the starter to the battery is tight and that you have over 12 volts at the starter end of the cable to the battery ground. If you do, then you can check for a good ground by checking for at least 12 volts from the battery + to the starter case or mounting bolt (dig in to get a good clean spot.) If that's good and it still doesn't crank, then the starter is likely shot.

·
Registered
467 Posts
OK, so you said its clicking underneath the steering wheel its either the relays or the ECU. I dont know why you start checking anything else. Are you getting any check engine light?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, I have to say thank you !!

I am so very impressed with the overwhelming support the people of this forum are!!

This is the second time in one week on this same vehicle I have asked for help and very quickly I have got that help.

It turns out, I push started to get it home and let it sit for a bit, after reading more and starring at the engine, i checked all terminals, put the battery on the charger, (it was full charge ) i crawled under gave the starter a tap with the hammer, voila!! it started and I havent had any problems all day with it!! this vehicle sat from August until 2 weeks ago and has not been driven every day since I bought it. I will (for now) chalk it up as binding up brushes. and hopefully time and driving will help. soooo, I have to say thank you to all of you that have put your input in. And for the record, I dont have an endless bank account and am not into just replacing parts, diagnosing is for sure the right way to do things.

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
Hmm....you may need to get that bank account ready, as replacing the starter is probably in your near future...;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
check the body ground next to the battery and also where that little pain in the butt ties into the battery terminal mine gives me fits on occasion when it does it wont start cant be jumped and will only give me dash lights

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am so very impressed with the overwhelming support the people of this forum are!!

This is the second time in one week on this same vehicle I have asked for help and very quickly I have got that help.

This is far and away the most friendly and helpful forum group I am a member of.

I got so frustrated the other day with a forum... that I put a link to this forum and basically said in the post... This is how a forum is suppose to work... others helping others if they have the knowledge. NOT a bunch of PM's with answers to questions/problems a lot of others are having. Share your knowledge...otherwise why are you on here.:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts