Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this at a farm sale nobody has any history, been setting for a couple of years but looked ok , so I bought it.
Had no battery so in goes a new battery and turned over 3 times and started ran till the choke warmed up and then idled perfectly , no lights on, no weird noises.
Check the fluids auto trans fluid red and no debris in it, all the lights wiper horn works, I'm feeling pretty good about now engine oil good with good oil pressure.
OOPs, little premature son, put it in gear and it don't move , doesn't make a sound just no reaction to the shifter at all, forward or reverse. Crawl under move the shifter at the trans get some movement, but just very little still doesn't turn axles . While under car have friend engage transfer case, when in 4 wd, both axles move a little bit together by hand, but don't revolve, in 2 wd front doesn't turn but I can turn the drive shaft round and round. car is off the ground.
I want to start with the shifter and make sure the signal is getting to the trans, then I will check to see if the trans is bad and I was told it had a bad transfer case by a bystander but I am not sure he knew and was maybe just trying to talk me off the car. With the lack of any problems anywhere else on the car and the general condition is good. I would love somebody with experience to steer me in the right direction. I am brand new to suzukis, but I do have skills with tools :)

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
First let's deal with the "bad transfer case" suggestion - put the transmission in Park, hand brake down, transfer case in 2H and try to push the vehicle, it should not move, now put the transfer case in N, and push - this time it should move.

If I'm right a 91 will have a 3 speed transmission - easy way to check - there will be no OD disable button on the transmission selector - this is a purely mechanical, hydraulically controlled transmission - the only electronics is for the torque converter lockup - the shift selection is via cable - check the cable make sure it moves and if it does, take it to a transmission shop (unless you're familiar with the guts of the transmission - which I am not).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transfe case info

thank you for the fast reply I will ckeck that out, I am glad there are no electronic controls on the trans
:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts