Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1990 suzuki sidekick, 1.6 8v, 4x4 soft top. It has 260,800 kms. It has been a great car, very little problems. I've owned it for 15 years. I went to the store last week and it was running great. When I went to start it to come home all it would do is turn over, like no spark or fuel. I put a new fuel pump in 2 years ago. At home I checked things over and not getting any spark or fuel to the tbi. I've read here before somewhere that these cars have a reset button under the dash somewhere, that happens when you hit certain mileage. Is there 1 of these on my car? Where would I look and what is this switch all about? I'd like to know all about it. Thanks

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The mileage switch would not prevent starting. Try spraying starting fuel in the intake, if it does not start, it's probably ignition. Have you ever serviced the ECM (visual look at the PCB or replaced the capacitors)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had it towed home. I had the timing belt and the other part, I think tightener, I don't know name of that part off hand, but had them replaced about 5 years ago at a shop in town.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't drive it far. I only live 5 mins. from work and only about 15 mins. to town. I don't think I have put many kms. on it since timing belt replaced. No long trips anywhere.

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
I just tried again and no lights on the dash come on. I turned headlights on and they work. It turns over good.
If you have no dash lights when you switch the ignition on that tells you there is no power to the ignition and fuel injection systems - that is where you're going to start your troubleshooting.

Did you actually turn the ignition switch on? Don't get upset, just trying to get you to think - maybe the switch isn't working - maybe there is no power from the switch to the ignition circuits, maybe the ignition coil fuse has blown...

Font Schematic Slope Material property Parallel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I turned it over, no lights on dash. I did replace the ignition switch a couple years ago with a good used one. I will look closer tomorrow.thanks for all your help. I'm off to work now in my truck. I will reply more tomorrow. Maybe ignition switch again.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Check your ignition coil fuse under the dash. If that fuse is blown, the engine will crank, but you’ll have no dash lights. The ignition coil circuit runs off the black/white wire throughout the car. It services the fuel pump relay, alternator, ignition coil, instrument panel gauges and lights, main relay, O2 sensor, etc. This fuse can blow for something as simple as the wiring in the O2 sensor shorting out on the hood. Confirm that this 15 amp fuse is ok.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
By the way, on the 1990, the engine will start (but not run) without the ECU. The ECU just monitors spark in the 89/90. So it’s unlikely that it‘s the caps. I vote for ig/coil fuse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts