Suzuki Forums banner

1989 Vitara 4x4 upgrade help

4K views 30 replies 4 participants last post by  stanley.jlx 
#1 ·
I have just got myself a 1989 vitara g16a carb model and im looking to make it a little better offroad but are not looking to spend alot on it until i get into it. It already has locking hubs and has got LT215/75r15 dueler M/T but other than that its stock any suggestion would be great. i have looked into a slight suspension lift but not sure.

#2 ·
What 'look' are you going for? Sadly, there will not be too much info on the carb part of your engine, as most of the posts here is for fuel injection. But a 2 inch suspension lift is a nice way to start - you can then throw on meatier tires.

#6 ·
Take a look at the offerings from OME and Dobinsons. I would recommend longer springs, strut spacers and longer rear shocks as a minimum. If you have the old style one-way damped oil struts on the front, then a two-way damped gas strut is a good upgrade.

#8 ·
OME and Dobinsons are Australian so they are at least in the right hemisphere. Otherwise bits4vits in the UK will export as will Calmini and a number of other US vendors.

#16 ·
I haven't been to one before, but of they are anything like the Zukfests in Reefton, they are a whole lot of fun. And you don't need anything beyond a standard vehicle to participate (although recovery points front and rear are a very good start).

What prepping do you need to do? Is it going? Reg & WoF?

#19 ·
That would work fine. I have the shock repositioners myself and have used the spring spacers in the past.

However it also doesn't have the rear diff a-arm spacer which I would have thought was necessary. But then I know many people don't bother.

Also, 174 pounds is about $NZD344, plus shipping (approx $80) putting over the rough $400 customs threshold. This means that while there is still no duty, you will be up for GST plus a custom "we have to deal with this import" fee. So I would estimate a final cost of about $500. For 1.5" of lift.

Are you looking to up tyre size at any point soon? Certification thresholds are the next thing to consider - normally you throw every cert item you can at the vehicle so it is all included. Normally these are body lift, tyre size increase (more than 5% over nominal rolling diameter, and you are at 4.X% already), suspension lift.

But that said, we ran with standard vehicle for 5 years, the only mods being hooks, snorkel and radio, and we quite happily did Grade 3 stuff in a club environment. Sometimes Grade 4.

It has only been the last 5 years where we really modified it and it has only been the last 2/3 years where we have been comfortable with Grade 5 stuff. (You will see why in our build thread on ORE).

If you end up joining a club (probably CCVC in Wellington?) check with them regarding what the require for tow hooks. Some of the clubs are quite particular about which way the hooks face etc. And their safety officer can direct you to existing Vitara's with that stuff sorted.

Hope this helps.

#20 ·
thanks man that is great advice its much appreciated to hear from someone that knows the ins and outs and has done it them self.
Would you recommend joining the club to further my knowledge before doing any modification
and what do you think about the laurel spring commodore strut lift?

#21 ·
I liked and did the laurel/commodore spring lift. The only real issue I found was when going from 2" to 3" with spacers, the front springs would push on the brake calipers. But then I realised it had been like that with the 2" lift which had been certified (because of the body lift) and I had never noticed!

It is cheap and easy to do.

I am a big advocate for joining a club - we got our start with the Central Otago 4WD Club, then the Shotover Club and Southland LROC as well. We also went to Zukfest and got to know a few in the Canterbury Suzuki Club - full range of suzuki vehicles there and a high level of knowledge. You can do silly stuff without having to spend 5 hours walking out afterwards - you really learn the ins and outs of what you and your vehicle can do. It also gives you large access to places individuals cannot normally go. And the online connections via OffRoadExpress also come into it, although you have to think a bit more in case the people turn out to be tools in person and put you where you don't want to be.

cheap vitara lift | New Zealand 4wd Forums Offroad Express

#24 ·
Lift Ideas 1989 Vitara

what are the exact things i need for a commy laurel lift im abit unclear. and if this is no good a 2 inch lift that i could obtain in New Zealand for a 1989 vitara or any opinions on what i should do to it to make it a more off-road worth daily iv got 215/75/15 MT for it a some normal AT tires it also has manual locking hubs , rock sliders and a bull bar. and help or opinions would be great.
Its already good off-road but want that extra clearance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.