Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have bought a 1988, 1,3l 4-cylinder Swift with a two-barrel carburator including automatic choke. In Sweden these oldies are rare due to our climate conditions and the bad corrosion protection of the first Swift model. It has also the most complicated carburator and emission system I have seen as a leisure mechanic.
The car has however gone only 12000 km mostly positioned in a garage, is in a terrific original shape and runs (normally) perfectly.
It has however a mysterious problem. When having being parked in hot sun for a couple of hours it starts perfectly with cold engine and runs perfect for 5-10 seconds but then suddenly stop. After such a engine stop it could not be restarted whatever i do, even not using motor starter spray gas into carburator.
As initially starts ignition must be okay. I have also checked a spark plug cable using a stroboscopic lamp and the ignition pulse is there during the restart attempts.
As the engine compartment and exhaust pipe smells strongly of gasoline after the restarting attempts It seems also that fuel system is in order. It seems also unlikely that ignition system or fuel system components could occasionally and randomly fail and in between work perfectly.
The electronic control module is situated inside the coupe and is, according to Chilton repair manual schematics, involved in some fuel cut off and gas mixing solenoid valves in the carburator. Are perhaps some original 31-year old electronic components weakened to fail in heat? I have thought at this possibility as well.
Between these occasions it starts, runs, could be shut off and restarts perfectly.
Is there any Swift or Metro fan acquainted with these oldies that have experienced this fault or have a clue where to start searching to solve this problem?

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
"according to Chilton repair manual schematics,"

That would be you first error, these rags are fraught with misinformation....

If you have fuel and spark on failed start, haven you checked the plugs for wetness/flooded engine?

What do you do the get it restarted?

Have you tried with foot to floor, throttle fully open?

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
Hi,
I have bought a 1988, 1,3l 4-cylinder Swift with a two-barrel carburator including automatic choke.

<SNIP>

The electronic control module is situated inside the coupe and is, according to Chilton repair manual schematics, involved in some fuel cut off and gas mixing solenoid valves in the carburator. Are perhaps some original 31-year old electronic components weakened to fail in heat? I have thought at this possibility as well.
My first question is what electronic control module are you referring to? As a general rule carbed engines don't have electronic control modules, there are exceptions to that rule, but as far as I know the Swifts were not amongst them.

My second question is does that Chilton match the vehicle you're working on?

The fact that there is a strong smell of fuel underhood after the restart attempts does not suggest to me, that the fuel system is "in order", and coupled with it not running on starter fluid suggests that the engine is in fact flooded.

My third question is what market was that Swift built for - I do have some documentation for the 1.3 Swift of that era as I did own one, with a two barrel carb, and no electronic control module.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
first thing to check is condition of float bowl and needle and seat, sounds like heats causing it to flood when starting.

and throw the Chiltons paper away, they are useless at best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts