Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete neophyte to working on cars beyond standard maintenance (oil changes, shock replacement, ac recharging, etc.) and my Samurai is my first project car. So far I have been working on the ignition system and it almost starts right up every-time; after babying it through a couple min warm up it runs like a champ. I am okay with that for now, so I think its time to address another bigger issue, its leaking oil and has been for a long time. There is enough oil that I can't really get a good look at where new stuff is coming from but the drops seem to be dripping off the oil reservoir bell (the drain plug) and from above the tie rod/steering damper.

Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting methodology and which if any gaskets are know for going out regularly?

I have been thinking of spraying the whole undercarriage and engine area down with a hose or possibly a pressure washer, with detergent, on a very gentle setting. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Step one in locating an oil leak is to clean things up so you can see where the leak is - a spray on degreaser and a garden hose will usually be enough - avoid pressure washers, they force water past seals into places it shouldn't be.

The common leak points on the 1.3 engine are the cam & crank seals (front & rear), the rocker cover gasket and the O-rings at the base of the distributor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure it was the front crank shaft seal. I don't know because shortly there after all my oil leaked out and I overheated on the freeway and spun a bearing. I am just finishing up the rebuild from it now.

That engine was so nasty; tried hose and soap but it was never enough. Most of it came off with some de-greaser and elbow grease but it took a long time. Painted it white to help find leaks in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts