Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Sammy with all stock engine, Aisan waterchoke carb. Having issues that seem common from some threads I read here with it starting but crapping out when giving it throttle. It has gotten so bad that it doesn't idle long enough to do much diagnosis but likely the carb.

My main question is in regard to getting a rebuilt carb versus going with a Weber conversion kit. I am concerned with all the electronics on the stock carb that switching over may have mixed results. The carb kit I think is right is a: WK601W (stock air filter).

My thinking here is to add some performance while taking care of the carb issues and later to see about larger exhaust to go with it . . .

Would appreciate any advice/experience anyone would share - thank you!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 1988 Sammy with all stock engine, Aisan waterchoke carb. Having issues that seem common from some threads I read here with it starting but crapping out when giving it throttle. It has gotten so bad that it doesn't idle long enough to do much diagnosis but likely the carb.

My main question is in regard to getting a rebuilt carb versus going with a Weber conversion kit. I am concerned with all the electronics on the stock carb that switching over may have mixed results. The carb kit I think is right is a: WK601W (stock air filter).

My thinking here is to add some performance while taking care of the carb issues and later to see about larger exhaust to go with it . . .

Would appreciate any advice/experience anyone would share - thank you!

Thanks!
Trying again . . . I see 80 views, but no comments/replies. I am a newbie . . . can someone let me know if the Weber conversion is an okay idea or not!? In theory it seems like a great plan but I know there are tons of Samurai folks out there that know a lot more about this maneuver than I do! I appreciate any advice - thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Conversion-depends

The conversion depends on whether or not you have to be smog compliant where you live. If smog is an issue, you will not be able to run a Weber and pass smog. If you must smog then you will need to stay with the Hitachi carb.
Trail Tough in Medford, Oregon sells remanufactured carbs. $329.00 for the carb and a $100.00 core charge. This the link for it:

Remanufactured Carb

I was just up there in March and saw the quality of the rebuilds. There were five of them on the shelf at that time.
Hope this helps. I am also fighting with my carb on both of my Sammy's, the Tin Top being the worst of the two.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts