Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thermal Switch?

The twin leads came out of the thermal switch, not water temp gauge, on the T-stat housing of my 87 Sammy, stock 1300cc. What does this switch do and can I run without it until I find a replacement. Going to try and solder leads back in..

Identified it from manual on ACKS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the single wire sensor above it is the temperature sender for the temp gauge.
The 2 wire sensor is called the thermal switch. It opperates in conjunction with the choke controlled by the ECM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so if the two wire switch I broke operates the choke I need to watch to see if it being open, closes the choke, or opens it. We are towing the Sammy to South Padre Island Sunday and can do without the choke. Most switches close on rise, but this one might open to break the circuit. Either way I should be able to bypass it for a week.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the switch you broke doesn't directly control the choke. In fact it doesn't even indirectly control the choke. It helps the engine determine whether or not to cut off fuel to the carburetor when off throttle. Such as durring decelleration and downshifting. The engine has to meet several perameters to cut fuel. The throttle has to be closed, the temperature has to be normal and RPM's have to be above high idle (2400)

I thought it was part of the choke mechanism, but it turns out its part of the fuel cut mechanism.

sorry bout that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. Still trying to find a replacement. I'll ohm it out cold in shop to see if it is open or closed before I try to solder on it. I WILL be driving up the beach next week so I'll set it up as a warm engine, be that open or closed!

Thanks Again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts