Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL I JUST BOUGHT A ZOOKI 87 FROM EBAY, THE CAR IS GREAT AND I LOVE IT..ITS A TIN TOP AND ALL STOCK BUT IM GOING TO CHANGE IT UP A BIT..I WAS WONDERING HOW HARD IT WOULD BE TO DROP THE SUSPENSION ABOUT AN 1" 1/2 ALL AROUND..I DONT CARE MUCH FOR THE OFFROAD STUFF, I LIKE TO KEEP CLEAN. AND I CANT FIND ANY DROP SPRINGS FOR A SUZUKI SO IM WONDERING HOW BAD IT WOULD BE IF I CUT THE SPRINGS A BIT...ANY SUGGESTIONS...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, you don't wanta cut the springs to lower it; after all they are leaf springs, not coils. Maybe pull the leaf spring packs apart and eliminate the overload springs.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can deduct single blade from each of your springs...that will lower suspension. But personally I will not do it due to fact that stock sammi suspension is low and after years for sure weaken bit.

so all i need to do is take some of those long plates off is that it...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The stock Samurai spring is designed to be flat (vehicle sitting on a level surface). If you remove a leaf from each pack, it will hyper extend the pack the wrong way and eventually the each pack will fail. If you remove any, leave the overload spring (the one in back that is thicker and looks like it is flipped upside down). At least this way you won't turn your rear springs into 'S's as quickly.

If you want a 'lowered' look, why not go to a larger tire and let it stuff into the wheelwells a bit?

I am in El Paso... lot's of lowriders... the folks I know that have lowered their Samurai's by cutting corners and just weakening the springs have all regretted it. Two of them had their springs fail on the road and were left sitting on the side until their rides could be dragged away on a flat-bed.

If you want to lower it, do it right and do a frame notch/hanger relocation conversion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Im In Houston And Im Not Trying To Do A Lowrider Crap Thing...i Just Want Like I Said Maybe An 1" 1/2 All The Way Around..
Can Someone Give Me A Website That Might Sale Something That Will Work..

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Well Im In Houston And Im Not Trying To Do A Lowrider Crap Thing...i Just Want Like I Said Maybe An 1" 1/2 All The Way Around..
Can Someone Give Me A Website That Might Sale Something That Will Work..
Gotcha.
Your rig looks a little high for stock springs (20 yr old originals). Can you shoot a pic from underneath of the arch you have in them?

You could look at replacing a #2 leaf with one from a CJ front pack and pull an extra stock leaf out. The CJ leafs are stronger and can take more punishment.

I'm sorry, but I know of no lowering kits for a Sammy that don't go 'crazy low'.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
From the looks of your springs they are stock (flat). I am not a fan of what I am about to suggest, but I can tell you how to lower it a bit more while still being safe.
There is no kit for this, but if you take a 1"-1.5" piece of flat stock (steel is strongest) that is the same size as the spring perch, remove the U-bolts and weld the stock to the perch on the axle. Drill a new positioning hole in the stock, centered like the one in the perch to keep the axle in position. You will need to get U-bolts that are longer by the same dimension as the stock thickness. Bolt it back together and Viola! Check closely for clearance with the tires turned left and right to full lock.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you do lower it then you will have to ensure that you maintain some suspension travel, the SJ doesn't have a lot to start with. You may need to cut down the bumpstops and relocate the shocks. Thats if you have enough tyre clearance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was told that you could only take out the leaf before the bottom out if i were to drop it...because its the flat one..

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
i was told that you could only take out the leaf before the bottom out if i were to drop it...because its the flat one..
Lowering it by removing a leaf on each pack will cause the pack to invert. While this is ok as it hits a bump (that's what it is designed to do), if it is always riding inverted you will destroy the packs alot faster. As long as you understand that, then go for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts