Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an '87 all stock. What should the top speed be for an all stock good running '87 model..? Searched but found nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
60ish

We can do 60 in 4th, hit 65 in 5th downhill with a tailwind;)

Tha Beerman!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Many, many moons ago when mine was new I received a gift from a nice man that gave me a break, and a little piece of paper... he dropped it down to 74mph in a 60 or 65 zone. :)
I don't remember if it was down hill or not, what direction the wind was blowing, but it was some place between Del. and Mass heading northeast.
That said, I'm not sure I would do it now. Remember the thing is how old???

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Stock?
If your local highway speed limit is 70, you will spend alot of time in the right lane... but once in a while there blows a tailwind - while going downhill - and you might just get to pass someone.
;)
But the stock (un altered) motor will last a very long time.

Upgraded 1.3...
I got GPS readings of 104 on flat ground back when I was 'testing' the Stalker. (closed course, don't try this on public streets, yada, yada)
;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
104??? holly sh*t. that is waaayyyyy to fast for such a short wheelbase.
I used to suck in behind a big rig and could lighten up on the skinny petal a fair amount. It never lasted long. They got off a ramp or I lost my nerve... (after about 15 minutes why temp things) That was back when I was young and stupid. Now I'm older. ;)
And that is NOT for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
75 on flat surfaces is the top speed with stock wheels and gears and engine. If you do some preformace mods to the intake and exhaust you can milk some more out of it. When I had my mikuni carbs I could hit 85-90 flat out on 32 inch tires. (grs2 T-case) After I put the stock carb back on I'm back to 75 mph on 31's with the gear reduction and a headder. If I hit a grade it's 65-70 depending on how steep. If I get a head wind on a grade It can drop me to 55-60 range and I'm taking it down to 4th. Going downhill I can push it to 85 or 90. Keep in mind that I have a modified suspension. 90mph on the stock suspension is kind of hair raising.

If you have stock size tires you won't need a gear reduction for on-road use. When I bought my samurai 15 years ago I took it for a test drive and the owner just about crapped his pants when I wound that engine up and started tearing around in it. It was so much more stable and responsive than the jeep CJ's that I'd been testing all week. Fell in love with the little zook and bought it. I've never regretted the decision.... ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments. I hope to drive it today and we'll see what she'll do. Hope for the best. If it will go at least 60 I will be happy. I going to look at an '87 JX that has been in a barn for the last 10 years and the guy got it out and has been driving it and is now selling it. It has 44,000 miles on it..He said no rust and is all stock..We'll see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
stock 87 sammy

I have a totally stock 87 and it runs all day on the San Diego freeways at 60 to 65 mph no problem I also get 30 mpg 215/75R 15 inch tires

·
Registered
123 Posts
The fastest I was able to hit in my Samurai when it was running was 80mph flat ground, no wind, 5th gear, I don't have a tach in my tin top, but it sounded like I was redlining.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I go to go and drive the '87. I barely saw 50 at it's fastest. It has 144,000 not 44,000 just as I thought. Body is in good shape. Dent in left rear. Dent in hood. Very little rust. Mostly in rear of body seams in wheel wells. Normal spot. One spot on windshield. Over all not bad at all. Just does not run good. Like it is starving for fuel. Maybe fuel pump or filter. Or maybe carb need rebuilding. Starter doesn't have the clicky problem it turns over just the starter armature doesn't throw out like it should. It turns over a sec or two then kicks out and just spins....Not all bad for $1000....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i'm sure it could use a timing belt and a 100k tuneup. If the current owner doesn't know the mileage don't assume that it's been done yet. For $1000, that's a nice find.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My '86 which is showing close to 200,000 on the speedo, with a very tired motor, will do 70mph screaming in 3rd and and 75 in 4th on a level surface. Takes a long time to get there, but it does. This is GPS speed. Have 32" tires and some extra weight with a heavy Warn winch and ARB bumper.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had a loose valve guide and it was making a horrible rattle. I can't tell you how many mechanics told me that "these crappy little aluminum motors aren't built to last more than 100K, the thing is shot and I should replace the motor" I finally found someone who would do a diagnostic for me and break it down. He said it had great compression, the rings were holding fine, there was no wear on the head, and I had a loose valve guide that was a result of improperly adjusted valve lash. (my bad) They replaced the valve guide and set the valve lash and I'm still running great at 160K (not positive about the mileage since I havn't run stock tires or gears on this thing in the 15 years I've had it.) If you take care of the motor, it will just keep going and going and going...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would it be worth putting a carb and header on the 1.3l or should I just try and do a 1.6L swap. Does a carb & header make much difference on a 1.3? I have found a 95 geo with the 16v but didn't know if I wanted to go to that much trouble to put it in. Thanks for any advice. From a new Sammy owner.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a carb and header make a huge difference in the 1.3L. You won't get the perfomance you would from a 1.6L but it still is a vast improvement over stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BTW, what is the redline for the stock 1.3L? I have 32" tires and about 187K miles on it. Has 6.5 gears in transfer case. In 5th it does 70 on level freeway. In 4th it will do 80 but engine is at 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Redline is 6,500 RPM.

I have an almost stock '88.5(same drivetrain as the '87 except for a shorter 5th gear) with a fresh carb and engine, a Thorley header and 2" exhaust, including a 2" Magnaflow cat and 2" Walker quietflow mufler.

Tires are 26.5" diameter 205/70-15 Geolandar A/T-S which really pepped up Sami when compared to the 28" diameter tires that it had on when I bought it.

I can cruise at 70 in 5th gear and can routinely hit around 85mph gps verified on level ground with no wind. I've hit 90 before, but I'm thinking I had a tail-wind or slight downhill. Wind and/or grades really do a number on top speed though. There are grades on some of the Sierra passes that require 1st gear to get through. Tioga pass requires 2nd gear.

I read a magazine report from '87 that indicated that the Samurai had a top speed of 78 in 4th gear, and I believe, 75 in 5th, all stock of course, with the taller pre-88.5 5th gear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have had mine at 140 kilometers per hour down hill no tail wind sits comfortable on 110 kilometers per hour on the hi way but got mods done stock i was lucky to get 120kph down hill sat on about 90kph on the hi way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok Seriously how the hell do you guys go that fast!!!! :eek: Down hill with wind i can maybe reach 60-65mph normal speed is 50mph with a little help from Mr Wind maybe 55mph. Any suggestions would be great seeing as this is my daily driver. I did just purchase a pacesetter header that i will be installing this weekend.

1987 Stock Suzuki Samurai lifted 15inch rims.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts