Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what the deal is with the suspension on the 1987 Samurai my Dad and I bought recently. He says there are no shocks and he bought a Haynes manual and he says the manual says they did not come with shocks. Does anyone else have a 1987 and did it come with shocks? I am trying to understand why a vehicle built in 1987 would not have shocks. I really don't get it. Is installing shocks as easy as welding on mounts?

Thanks,
Terri

·
Registered
160 Posts
You need to download another manual! :eek: There are links here that you can download in PDF format the entire factory service manual. Don't drive it without shocks. That is very unsafe. Perhaps the prior owner was modifying the suspension and didn't finish the job and failed to weld back on some shock mounts.

BTW, the front cover of that manual has a cut out photo showing shocks in the photo... Oh, and Chapter 10 is the chapter on suspension showing how to replace the shock absorbers, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to get ahold of my Dad so he can tell me where in the manual it says there are no shocks. In the mean time, where are the manual links?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I downloaded the 350MB PDF file from the link below and it works great. You can search text in the manual too.

http://www.suzukiinfo.com/sierra/

Look for the link that says:

"1987 Samurai Factory Service Manual: Suzuki's Factory Service Manual. This is one of the best versions of the best reference book. Adobe PDF format contained within a ZIP file, 1 part, fully searchable and linked, no encryption. 350.1MB"

Are you sure your dad was not just messing with you saying it didn't use shocks?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't messing with me. I'll have to download that manual at work tomorrow - on my home connection it will take hours. I'm still trying to get ahold of my Dad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Everything is straightened out - there was just some confusion due to lack of familiarity with that kind of vehicle. It has shocks and the manual does not say anything about not having shocks (confusion also). I knew it couldn't not have shocks! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Terri

·
Registered
616 Posts
also, do a search for fsm at Ack's FAQ for an '88 Samurai FSM which is pretty generic. The link to Ack's FAQ is in my signature, below.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts