Suzuki Forums banner

1987 Samurai Poor Gas Mileage

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  racer37 
#1 ·
Hey all, i'm new to the forum so hello! I have a 1987 Samurai that is getting roughly 14 mpg?! I have the stock 1.3 with a 32/36 DGEV Weber carb and brand new cat along with a 2" shackle lift to clear P235/75R15's. Does anyone have any advice on what might be the problem or any possible solutions? Any information is helpful! Thanks!
-Baker

#3 ·
im running 235's ,a weber,header & 2" exhaust and im getting around 16-18.I was getting about 25-27 before the 235"s.So if you havent changed to a header & larger exhaust your probably not far off is my guess but the pro's here can give a better answer im sure...

#4 ·
if you drop a header on there and you regear the T-case or the diffs to compensate for the tire size increase you will pick up some of your lost economy. maybe get into the high teens. The webber is not anywhere as efficient as the stock setup so it will burn more fuel. But you get more punch from the engine.

Running bigger rubber will always reduce your efficiency, even if you regear it so that the engine isn't working as hard, you still have more rolling resistance and inertial weight from the larger tires.

#5 ·
If, you've already done the "first things first" rotuine (air filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, ignition timing, valve lash, vacuum lines , compression check, etc.) then a gearing change might be your best option, to get the engine rpms back into their most efficient operating range. I have the Weber with header and 2" exhaust and I drive mine HARD. Although I'm still on stock size tires, I've never got less than 20 mpg on a stock motor, with 116k miles on it.

#8 ·
I had bad fuel mileage and I have 32X11.50 tires. I went from 16-19 down to 10-12 mpg. It turned out to be the mechanical fuel pump. The pump gets a tear in it and leaks fuel out. It always ran good. I noticed the fuel smell in the oil when I changed the oil out. It is worth a check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.