Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone I am looking at getting a new motor for my 1981 sierra and i am just wondering what some good reliable options are that will fit in without having to modify too much? im mostly going to be doing road driving and just looking for a bit more power then the 970cc motor that's in it. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 1300 and 1600cc options from later models seem like an obvious starting point to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate do you know if the 1600 vitara of around the late 90's would be a straight swap?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey ive found a 1997, SUZUKI SWIFT GTI motor do you reckon that would be a good option? do you know by any chance if it would be an easy swap?

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
A Sierra suggests Australia - the GTi motor can be fitted, but you'll have issues with the fuel injection and the distributor - find a 1.3 from a Sierra, or maybe a 1.6 from a Vitara, but you'll need an adapter plate to mate the 1.6 to your transmission.

Let me know if I'm correct on the location - I can probably point you to Aussie based forums where you can find help and perhaps parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the GTi motor can be fitted, but you'll have issues with the fuel injection and the distributor
Aftermarket EFI would fix both of those problems and present some new ones. :p

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
Aftermarket EFI would probably cost more than the Sierra's worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is a list of everything that comes with the motor and he says its for a sierra conversion and all I would need to get is an inline fuel pump. would this be right? MOTOR IS OUT OF A 1997, SUZUKI SWIFT GTI
VERY LOW KM MOTOR

THINGS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE ARE:

GTI MOTOR 136000km (worth $700)
GTI COMPUTER (worth $150)
GTI ENGINE WHOLE WIRING LOOM (worth $150)
CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL (worth $100)
INTAKE MANIFOLD (worth $50)
THROTTLE BODY (worth $40)
AIR FLOW METER (worth $50)
MAF SENSOR (worth $40)
TPS (worth $40)
EXHAUST MANIFOLD (worth $40)
OXY SENSOR (worth $10)
COIL AND IGNITOR (worth $25)
FUEL INJECTIORS & FUEL RAIL (worth $75)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks good , I nearly went down a similar path. Ended up snagging a complete g16a and from the 1st gen Vitara with the sump mod for the zook from ebay for 300$.

Id say do not rush into this decision. You have a lot of options ,Price was a big concern for me. i got my conversion done for under the price of the GTI motor

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm thinking that an 81 is going to be a 410 with the 1litre engine. To fit a 1.3 or 1.6 engine you would need the 1.3 gearbox and I think you need to replace/relocate one of the engine mounts. I can't remember which year it changed but you may also need to cut a new hole for the gear lever and fit a body lift.
Auszookers.com is the place for Aus specific information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with the g16a motor did you have to change the gearbox or anything and did you keep the wiring from the sierra or do you need to get the wiring loom from the vitara aswell?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The g16a is the carb vitara motor , I just got the adapter kit to go up to my 1.3 gearbox 250$ on ebay.1989 model

You will have too source and mount gearbox as stated by rhinoman, he knows more then most here.
Any upgrade will be worth the effort , But it sounds like you better start research.Look at all your options , Maybe a newer rust bucket that is complete could be a cheap option.
I got a completely rusted 92 model for spares And its been invaluable . 500$ on ebay for that baby , its kept me driving after destroying mine in the bush

Also if you intend to use it on the road , it needs to be engineered ,if your in N,S,W we are allowed 15% upgrade in engine size. i could have dropped a 1500cc motor in and no engineering cost ,, that was 500$ , but added value too the car so im not worried

The kit from ebay it`s a minimal fuss drop in , you can even use a 1.3 carb and manifold if needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if I buy a complete 1.6 vitara would I just be able to use the gearbox out of that or do I have to find a 1.3 gearbox? and how much lift would I have to go to fit it in? or do you think it would be a better idea to find a complete 1.3 and then I will have everything I need?

i really appreciate all this help im getting thank you all

·
Registered
36 Posts
Id buy a newer sierra , somewhere in the range of 88 to 94 .A lot components should swap straight over.Shocks, springs, ECT. Maybe even sell the 1lt and buy a decent 1.3. A easier starting base for upgrades

The vit does not have the steel diff . id stick with the sierra ,If your as insane as me in the bush . The steel is the difference Between driving out of the bush on a bent spring Vs some serious breakage. Stumps can hide anywhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im pretty much only going to be road driving with it, maybe some light 4x4 but nothing extreme. just want something with a bit more go then the lawn mower motor that's in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts