Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to gather up parts to do an automatic to manual transmission swap in my Sidekick Sport and they are tough to find. My Sidekick has a 2.3 out of an 07 Aerio in it. I am not sure if the car flywheel would be the same as one that would come in the 1.8 Sport. It is tough finding a 1.8 flywheel, but I have found a few that came out of cars like the Aerio or Esteem with the J series engines.

Does anyone know if the flywheels from the cars would be the same as the Sidekick/Vitara's? Ring gear and dimensions the same?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am trying to gather up parts to do an automatic to manual transmission swap in my Sidekick Sport and they are tough to find. My Sidekick has a 2.3 out of an 07 Aerio in it. I am not sure if the car flywheel would be the same as one that would come in the 1.8 Sport. It is tough finding a 1.8 flywheel, but I have found a few that came out of cars like the Aerio or Esteem with the J series engines.

Does anyone know if the flywheels from the cars would be the same as the Sidekick/Vitara's? Ring gear and dimensions the same?
A quick way to check would be to get part #'s for a clutch for both vehicles you are working w/ and see if they interchange (clutch or flywheel would work)

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Not necessarily - the only time I have tried a flywheel swap was a 1.3 engine and the Swift and Samurai did not use the same flywheel, even though they used the basic engine was the same - the Swift flywheel was physically smaller.

Below are flywheel part numbers - note the Esteem & Aerio use the same part even though they are different engines. A different part number does not mean the wheel won't interchange, I suspect the car flywheels are lighter than the trucks.

Esteem 1.8 - 12620-62G00
Sidekick Sport 1.8 - 12620-77E00

Aerio 2.0 - 12620-62G00
Vitara 2.0 - 12620-77EA0

The clutch part numbers are also different, and again the Esteem & Aerio use the same parts.

Unfortunately I have no data on the 2.3 Aerio, and as far as I know, that engine was used only on the Aerio.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the part numbers Fordem. I will keep trying to find a 1.8 Sport flywheel, but I have a feeling a 2.0 Vitara may work also. The part numbers are almost identical.
Maybe I will give Brent at TrailTough or Sean at Aftermarket 4x4 a call. Both have done a lot of swaps with these engines.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have a JDM J18 from a front wheel drive that I am putting in my Sport. Both old and JDM were automatics. Comparing the flex-plates (drive plate), the only difference was timing marks stamped into the JDM/FWD flex plate. (With a transverse mounted engine, I assume you can see the flywheel with the motor running.) -- These marks might be a reason for the different part numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.