Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new timing belt and tensioner in the 1.6L Tracker engine in my Samurai. The problem is that the belt is too tight.

The old belt has the same number of teeth, 95 with the round profile as the new one, but the old one appears to be a little thinner and and just a tad longer. The new one is a Preferred Components B164.

When I re-installed the old belt, the tensioner adjustment, after rotating the crankshaft twice and the tensioner plate loose, is about 1/8" over the minimum adjustment. With the new belt I can just get it on with the tensioner plate in place but it seems to be way too tight as the tensioner plate has absolutely no movement.

Below is an image of the tensioner and the tensioner adjustment plate. Is this the standard tensioner plate for the 1.6L as I have been unable to locate an image with the same anywhere? Or can someone suggest another timing belt brand besides PCI?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
That appears to be the 8v tensioner plate (16v is different). As for belts, I have had good luck with Gates & Goodyear Gatorback.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I will get a Gates belt and if it fits the same way, then I will have the peace of mind that it is supposed to be that way and I will have a spare as well. I don't think the PCI belt is too tight as I can easily twist it 90 degrees and push it in with my finger about a 1/2". Maybe the spring that attaches to the tensioner is too weak or the wrong one as it will not move the tensioner at all with the belt installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts