Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to buy a really nice looking 1986 samurai tin top with a 1994 1.6L 16v out of a sidekick. I had a samurai in highschool with the stock engine. When I drove this samurai that I'm interested in, it had basically no power. The engine sounded like there could be a timing issue. Could that be the problem with the power? BTW the distributer, ignition system, and almost everything is new on this Sammy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a Sammy with a 1.6 8v tracker motor and it has significantly more power than the 1.3. 1st thru 4th it'll move my sammy on 35's rather well....5th gear is pretty useless tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Sammy has 30's on it and I can't break the tires loose in 2nd on gravel. There has to be a problem.

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I got mine the gearing was all effed up, 16v on 35s. I rebuilt the xfer case with lower gears and it went from being virtually undriveable to being reasonably streetable. 5th gear 75mph no trouble if no hills or headwinds. If the gearing is off it will suck in brand new ways that things have never sucked before.

Do you know what the gears are in xfer case and diffs?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess that depends on tire size and what you want to do.

I went with 6.4 transfer case and toyota 4.10 diffs, its about right for street and offroad.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It could be the infamous crankshaft pulley keyway issue, a compression test would show if there is a problem there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts