Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, there is a lot of info out there on the 1.6 swap. Bit, exactly how easy is this swap with the conversion kit? I have a carb 1.3 in an 88 Sammy. What kind of wiring will end up needing to be done for the 8 valve 1.6?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ive done the swap with the 16 valve engine and its not to hard. I know the 8 valve is much easier. I pulled my wire engine wire harness out from ECU to engine, and just ran the wires I needed. If you can find a diagram its easy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet deal. So I'll need ecu to engine and that is all? Use my Sammy tranny with the adaptor? I just know that I don't have a great track record with wiring. If I keep my 1.3 head (rebuilding it know) will that make is any easier?

·
Registered
25 Posts
pony, anytime i have to do an intensive overhaul on anything, i record evrything i do. it really helps piece it all back together at the end

·
Registered
686 Posts
If wiring is not your thing you can send out the harness to any number of vendors that will do it up for you, you should get it back as a plug and play deal. I don't know how to recommend a vendor as I have never had one done.

And yes, a trans adaptor/motor mounts are available reasonably priced, you will use the Sami flywheel. I'm really liking the 16v.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd rather do the wiring myself as it would save me a couple hundred bucks. Will using the carbed 1.3 head save me some work? What kind of wiring is involved with the 1.6 block?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2wd tracker tranny in 4wd Sammy?

Another question guys. I found a 96 2wd tracker and was wondering about if I could keep the 2wd tranny from the tracker and fab up a drive shaft for it. I can get the whole car for pretty cheap and I think my Sammy tranny is on it's last leg.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The tracker transmission is physically a bit larger, would be a bit of work. I read that the tunnel had to be modified to accommodate. The kits for the Sami trans are reasonably priced and its a pretty simple gearbox. I replaced all synchros and all bearings for something under $185 if I recall correctly. I had a few bucks into a guy with a press to help put it all together. I would suggest that an inspection of the inside of the Sami trans might be feasible unless someone knows a way to put the 2wd kick trans in. I think it will be to long for the transfer case to remain in the OEM position but maybe someone who has actually done it will have wisdom.

I saw a setup where a sidekick 4wd trans/transfer case were installed as the Sami is divorced and the kick is married, I am unsure of the over length of that sort of setup and wonder if it is long enough to create problems for the rear driveline angles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By kits for the Sammy transmission do you mean rebuild kits? Or the conversion kit to bolt up the tracker 1.6?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Rebuild. I got a bearing kit and a synchro kit seperately, everything was there to go through it.

If I had one that was acting up I would check the shift sheet first,then probably open it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts