Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I need some help in identifying the 1.6 that came in my '86 Sami TT.
It came with a homemade carburetor adapter with I do know what carburetor on it. the engine number is 1590Gm3. it has a single round opening in the intake manifold and I am wanting to research different carburetors that would apply.
Any help would be appreciated and have a safe holiday season.
Thanks for your time

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
It's going to be hard to be definitive with that limited information...

We can assume it's a Suzuki engine (but I hate assumptions), and the engine number is probably not 1590Gm3 - although that might be the capacity - 1590cc is the rated capacity of a Suzuki G16 engine, and the G16's are a fairly popular swap into the Samurai.

A picture would be a good place to start - and if it is a Suzuki G16 engine, the engine number will be alongside the bellhousing, and it will look something like G16x-nnnnnnn - where x is a letter, and nnn is a series of numbers.

My guess at this point is it's a Suzuki G16A, 1.6 8v engine - but that's only a guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you fordem for the reply. the 1590Gm3 is straight off the driver lower side by the bell housing. Could it be out of a GEO? I would think that it would be a Suzuki made engine.
On getting a photo posted in a thread, what's the URL thing, I can't get the photo in because I'm puter illiterate,,,,

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If it has a steel valve cover then its most likely to be a G16A 8V Tracker/Sidekick engine. I'm pretty sure that all the 16Vs have 'Suzuki' cast in the valve cover. The single round hole for a (downdraught?) carb indicates that it was an injection engine, the EFI engine also has no casting for a fuel pump at the rear of the engine behind the intake manifold then. The 8V engine will have G16A cast into the block and an engine number that also starts with G16A which will be on the block alongside the bellhousing behind the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
686 Posts
go to "google images" and google tracker 8v engines to pull up images, see if one looks familiar. It's pretty much a slideshow of what ever the search results are, it might help identify it. You can search metro engines or whatever you feel like until you find one that looks like the one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, duh, I checked again and the engine number from the driver side, low, by bell housing is 1590 Cm3, I did the google thing and it comes back with several possibilities, it looks like the first year wad 1994 Vitara, which cross references as a G16A. I checked and there is not a cast spot for a fuel pump behind the intake manifold. Thank you guys for all your help.
Now I'm wondering how difficult it will be to change it back to a EFI, and what will have to be changed out.
Any thoughts on this? I would assume the fi will be more efficient on trail, and better mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If it had EFI before and the harness is there it might not be to bad, Hopefuly the PO didnt go slipping wires and such. We get to the point where pics will be really helpful. Are you able to get the pics onto the computer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have the efi wiring harness, and I can't figure out how to put pic on,,,duh,,,i can't get pass the url thing,,,duh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go to tinypic.com and choose upload picture. Follow the instructions and copy/paste the code for forums here in your reply. The code you want will look something like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts