Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after years of waiting and planning I have finally installed my upgraded motor and I am more than satisfied with the spunk and pep my Sami now has. Turning the 33" tires was just too much for the 1.3. It can spin the tires with ease. However I still need a little more speed on the highway. There are soo many ways of gearing that it has boggled my mind. I am looking for practicle info from someone who has been thru this predicament. I do agree with the fact that both the transfer case gearing and differential gearing need to be changed. This I cannot afford to do all at once. So, not only do I need to know which to do first, but also exactly what gearing I should install in each. As far as transfer case should it be 6.5 to 1 or 4.6 to 1. Or something even different. I don't have any idea on the diff gears in my stock Sami housings. My offroad plans are going to be mostly mud and rock crawling. any specific help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 4.6:1 set will get you about a 16% reduction in high range and a 115% reduction in low range. The 6.5:1 will get a 20% reduction in high range and for the low range I am seeing ether 187% or 269% depending on where I look.

If you spend much time on the highway I would go with the 4.6:1 as you might find your rpms running to high at highway speeds with the 6.5:1 but people do it.

For the ring and pinion gearing stock is 3.727 according to the FSM for '86 and '87. 4.57 gears provide a 23% overall reduction and 5.38 gears provide a 44% overall reduction. Adding that much extra reduction along with a transfer case reduction might prove to be to much for something that will see time on the highway

With my 4.16:1 transfer case gears and 30" tires I run at 3600rpms at 60mph as an example.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated. It sounds like I would go with what you are running since most of my driving will be to work on the highway. Only recreation time will be off-road. I don't wanna burn up the motor even tho it seems to have a lotta acceleration in the city. That part I am very satisfied with. The 16 valve is working great. Was well with the wait. I had the same thought that a combination of changing all the gearing to an extreme will produce rpm's way too high. Thanx much for the input.

The 4.6:1 set will get you about a 16% reduction in high range and a 115% reduction in low range. The 6.5:1 will get a 20% reduction in high range and for the low range I am seeing ether 187% or 269% depending on where I look.

If you spend much time on the highway I would go with the 4.6:1 as you might find your rpms running to high at highway speeds with the 6.5:1 but people do it.

For the ring and pinion gearing stock is 3.727 according to the FSM for '86 and '87. 4.57 gears provide a 23% overall reduction and 5.38 gears provide a 44% overall reduction. Adding that much extra reduction along with a transfer case reduction might prove to be to much for something that will see time on the highway

With my 4.16:1 transfer case gears and 30" tires I run at 3600rpms at 60mph as an example.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts