Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my 1.3 to a 1.6 engine 16v and I was told that the 16v engine would't work, any information or suggustions will be appreciated

·
Registered
293 Posts
To add to Steelbreeze's response, you will need the all the engine wiring, computer, sensors, intake & exhaust manifolds, along with the adapter kit to make it work. There is a lot of information on the internet about doing this, but it is not like the relatively simple swap using the 1.6L 8V like I have.

I live in Mount Juliet, where in middle Tennessee are you located? There is another poster here from Joelton.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought my '91 with the 1.6L already installed in '07. This model has the fuel injection and it remains installed intact.

While 1.6L has more torque, it doesn't rev as good as a 1.3L. When I want to accelerate quickly or run on the interstate, it runs out of gearing real quick with near stock tires. Since mine is a daily driver and having kept the weight down, I wish it still had the 1.3L block in it. If I was running 31's, heavy bumpers, winch, etc, then the 1.6 would be the better choice.

It really depends on how you plan to use the truck. If it is going to so a lot of highway use with occasional trail action, I would rebuild the 1.3 and install high compression pistons.

Whether you go 1.3 or 1.6, you will need to replace the exhaust system, if it hasn't already been done. The stock exhaust is less than 1.5" and really needs to be 1.75" to 2".

The trouble with buying a used engine, is that you never know whether it needs to be rebuilt or not, unless you know the history of the motor. Seems like those that I hear about are worn out and being parted out. Here is a place in Lawrenceburg, TN that I saw listed in the nashville.craigslist that has a lot of parts. Never dealt with them so I can't recommend them.

My mother lives in Murfreesboro and I get down there about one a week, mostly on the weekends. If you would like to get together in M'boro, just private message me and we can try to schedule a time and place. Always glad to meet another Samurai owner.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
While 1.6L has more torque, it doesn't rev as good as a 1.3L. When I want to accelerate quickly or run on the interstate, it runs out of gearing real quick with near stock tires.
The 16V engine is better in that respect as it revs much harder and holds power longer than the 8V. I do agree that bigger tyres do help as the SJ is geared shorter than the Track/Kick.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep,Haptown...im still here and around.Just so busy now days..Im still wanting to swap my 1.3 for the 8v 1.6 just havent had the $$ of time.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Here is something to read through.
16 valve installation

I did the conversion for a friend (project truck) in 2 nights after work. The only reason it took the second night was because I left my clutch alignment tool at my house and had to come back the next night to bolt it up and crank the motor...
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts