Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I have a water leak from the rear of the engine down near the bell housing.
Does this block have a welch plug at the rear? If so,is it repairable by removing the gearbox?
Only new to Sierras and would appreciate any help.
From sailorV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i dont beleive that there is a plug back there, that sounds like a cracked block or something along those lines, but remove the gearbox and look, if there is a freeze plug then you will be in luck but thats definately the route you gotta go, once the tranny is off the problem will definately be apparent

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont beleive that there is a plug back there, that sounds like a cracked block or something along those lines, but remove the gearbox and look, if there is a freeze plug then you will be in luck but thats definately the route you gotta go, once the tranny is off the problem will definately be apparent
Thanks for the advice.I hope its' not a cracked block! I'll get the gearbox out and see what appears.
Cheers

·
Registered
616 Posts
before you start removing the gearbox, inspect all the coolant hoses in the area.

Besides the hoses to the heater valve, there is a hose that runs from the end of the water pump plenum to the bottom of the intake manifold. a leaky hose or loose connection there will cause coolant to spray onto the gearbox/transmission bellhousing.

There might be a welsh plug (freeze plug?) on the rear face of the block inside the bellhousing area (been a while since I physically looked there :) ). If that plug were leaking, most of the coolant would escape onto the backside of the flywheel and leak out of the bottom of the bellhousing at the clutch inspection plate.

Take a look at part two of the the downloadable '88 Samurai Factory Service Manual at Ack's FAQ (search for factory service manual - the link to Ack's FAQ is in my signature, below) for pictures of these hoses.

BTW, the 1.3 engine has changed little since it's introduction in the SJ-series way back in 1986. Only the engine electrics and intake setup are different in various vehicle models.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
before you start removing the gearbox, inspect all the coolant hoses in the area.

Besides the hoses to the heater valve, there is a hose that runs from the end of the water pump plenum to the bottom of the intake manifold. a leaky hose or loose connection there will cause coolant to spray onto the gearbox/transmission bellhousing.

There might be a welsh plug (freeze plug?) on the rear face of the block inside the bellhousing area (been a while since I physically looked there :) ). If that plug were leaking, most of the coolant would escape onto the backside of the flywheel and leak out of the bottom of the bellhousing at the clutch inspection plate.

Take a look at part two of the the downloadable '88 Samurai Factory Service Manual at Ack's FAQ (search for factory service manual - the link to Ack's FAQ is in my signature, below) for pictures of these hoses.

BTW, the 1.3 engine has changed little since it's introduction in the SJ-series way back in 1986. Only the engine electrics and intake setup are different in various vehicle models.

I hope that this helps!
Jim,I downloaded your FSM and found it very helpful.I will keep it for future reference with no doubt ongoing Sierra problems.Thanks for your time.Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,I have a water leak from the rear of the engine down near the bell housing.
Does this block have a welch plug at the rear? If so,is it repairable by removing the gearbox?
Only new to Sierras and would appreciate any help.
From sailorV.
There is a rectangle cover on the back of the block that is held in be 4 screws. It seals pretty good so I don't think your problem is there. My 1.3 had a leaking headgasket that weeped water out the back and dribbled down the bellhousing which made it look like a soft plug leak. I hate to use stop leak but my engine was tired and I was building a 1.6 for it so I dumped som silver seal in, and wha la! It held for another year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts