Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to those who have done an engine swap for the Samurai, particularly to the 1.6L engine (billjohn, do you hear me?). I want to customize some headers and a cat back for my 1.3L Samurai, but I still might upgrade my engine to the 1.6L. Does the headers of the 1.3L engine fit on the 1.6L engine?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
A question to those who have done an engine swap for the Samurai, particularly to the 1.6L engine (billjohn, do you hear me?). I want to customize some headers and a cat back for my 1.3L Samurai, but I still might upgrade my engine to the 1.6L. Does the headers of the 1.3L engine fit on the 1.6L engine?
Yes. a header built for a 1.3 will fit an 8v 1.6
You just have to do a little clearancing where the heat shield under the drivers side floor sits just above the exhaust connection. Otherwise it will touch and rattle.

Here is an article I did when I added a Doug Thorley to my 1.6
Header

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
When I went back and used a Thorley on the Stalker, I used the Cat Back system from Trail Tough. After I showed Brent what I did to adapt his Cat Back system to the Thorley, he added a similar adapter to his kit so that others could do the same. His original kit only bolted up to the stock down-tube.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill. You said it will fit the 8v 1.6 engine. I presume the 16v too? Because I want to go for the 16v.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You see, the thing is I am not going to order it, I'm going to make it at a local custom exaust pipe fabricator here, which will cost me a lot less since I don't have to ship it overseas. So the concern is, if I custom-make one for my 1.3L engine, will it fit the 1.6L 16v engine? I always assumed that the 1.6 8V and the 1.6 16V have the same engine block but the difference lies in the engine head.

I want to make sure I protect my investment, as Cisco likes to put it :) So if I invest in a header for my current engine, then decide to upgrade I'll protect my investment.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You see, the thing is I am not going to order it, I'm going to make it at a local custom exaust pipe fabricator here, which will cost me a lot less since I don't have to ship it overseas. So the concern is, if I custom-make one for my 1.3L engine, will it fit the 1.6L 16v engine? I always assumed that the 1.6 8V and the 1.6 16V have the same engine block but the difference lies in the engine head.

I want to make sure I protect my investment, as Cisco likes to put it :) So if I invest in a header for my current engine, then decide to upgrade I'll protect my investment.
I believe the difference is in the additional passages. I would pick up a stock 16v exhaust manifold and check out the egr passages. Then you can get it done to fit that head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts