Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put a 1.6 8v block under a 1.3 head with factory 1.3 EFI... Would that save me the hassle of all the rewiring nonsense? Or make it a swift process at least? Curiosity. Feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, that will work as my '91 is done that way, except that mine is a G16B block from a 16V, which results in lower compression than a G16A.

Unbolt intake manifold and pull it the passenger side to get it out of the way. Unhook everything else to pull the engine and transmission. If you have a hoist, it is easier to mate the transmission and starter to the block out of the truck. Depending on the adapter kit, it may be easier to just install the passenger side motor mount, and then doing the driver side bracket/mount after fitting the engine back in.

Also a good time to replace all seals, gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump while it is out. If you can get the 1.6L fuel injector, now would also be a good time to get it cleaned and installed as it has a little bit better fuel flow. The fuel injector is an easy swap.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You can use the 1.6 head, you just need to use all the 1.3 manifolds and sensors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very good to know! Is there any advantage to one head over the other? Assuming I had both laying around? I'm kicking around the idea of rebuilding a 1.6 8v over the winter while I drive the 1.3, then hopefully a semi straight forward swap. I'm going to pass on power steering & a/c. No ECU, wiring harness hacking might make this within reach. Thanks for sharing the knowledge gentlemen. Very helpful info, indeed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've just acquired a 1.6 8v long block with 135k on it. I all the efi parts that attach to the engine, less the air box. I've got the exhaust manifold, coil & dizzy as well. No starter, alt, ps, or ac. I'm thinking of running the 1.6 block, the 1.3 head, all 1.3 intake & exhaust. Also if possible, using the crank pulley for the accessories from the 1.3. Swap on 1.6 cam timing gear. Modify sammi oil pan. I def want to try & compare both injectors. My ecu is freshly rebuilt in the sammi & I'd love to keep it intact. I just want to get max boost with what I have to work with & I'm really pretty green at all this. Which parts would a vet in my shoes put to use? I'm really on the fence with the heads. Thanks again for any insight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using a 1.6 8v long block with the 1.3 efi & ecu, which dizzy & coil is recommended? Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts