Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum keeps my beast running and I very much appreciate the championship expertise and advice. I have a 93 1.3 EFI sami, all stock. The last few days, it has been having trouble starting. It takes 5 or 10 minutes of grinding on the starter before I get the slightest response when cold. After that, it will fire and immediately die 5 or 10 times before it finally keeps going (running horribly like it has jumped time or something), then it will smooth out run fine. If I stop at a gas station or something, it fires right up again just fine. After it sits and cools, right back to square one. Any ideas where to start? I have a couple ideas but I trust yours more and free time to put into the car is not easy to come by. Thanks again and all the best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...one huge detail I missed. The night before the first time it had trouble starting, I left the top off in the rain all night. I was thinking maybe a sensor or something got wet inside? Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does your check engine light work? If so, put a fuse in the diagnostic slot on the fuse box and make sure that it flashes 1-2 (flash once, pause, two flashes). if it flashes something different, then it is probably indicating that a sensor is not working. Look up the code in the FSM or report back here and I will look it up for you.

If it is flashing 1-2, then there is still a good chance the either the ATS (air temperature sensor) or the WTS (water temperature sensor) is giving a bad reading. If one of the sensors is bad, then the ECM will go into failsafe mode and act like the readings are for being at operating temperature. When cold you will not get enough gas to start properly.

The troubleshooting instructions will be in the pdf linked below.
Suzuki Samurai TBI Supplement 125MB

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine light doesn't work. I appreciate the advice. One of those sensors appears to be $13 up the street. Sounds like a real good start. Thanks for the reply. I'll share the progress and results as it unfolds.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If the engine check engine light (CEL) doesn't work, then either bulb is burnt out and needs replacing, your ECM is bad, or you have a wiring problem. I think I would replace the CEL bulb in the dash first before throwing parts at it.

There are 4 screws that hold the dash cluster in place. You may not be able to completely remove the dash cluster without dropping the steering column because the flasher button will be in the way. See if you can reach the bulb(s) first, but if you need to drop the column, there are 2 security-type screws that need to be loosen right by the ignition switch. I use needle-nose vise grips on these screws.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it seems to have slowly came back around to normal. I'm thinking something got wet that didn't need to. I will def take your advice on getting the CEL up and running. I'll at least try the easy things haha. The PO has been inside the cluster there and covered it with a piece of electrical tape. It has the an exhaust system with the cat removed, so maybe it triggered the light to stay on? We shall see. Thanks again for the great advice sir, from a fellow Tennessean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went great for awhile. Probably once a week it struggles to fire up. After 10 minutes of grinding, I get some fire, dies immediately. After a few more attempts it runs a little better each time until it finally keeps going. After a few minutes, runs like it should. I got the CEL working (thanks to Haptown for the advice) and it's throwing out error code 44. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Makes sense as code 44 is the Idle Switch Sensor circuit. It is found on page 4a-53 in the 1990-1994 Samurai FSm Supplement. The Idle Switch is also known as the TPS sensor located on the TBI. It senses the position of the throttle linkage to determine whether the gas pedal is depressed or not. The diagnostics for the TPS is on page 4A-91.

89–95 SIDEKICK & SAMURAI w/TBI FUEL INJECTION
12 All Clear (No Fault Detected)
13 O2 Sensor circuit
14 Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit
15 Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit
21 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit
22 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit
23 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit
24 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit
25 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit
31 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Circuit
32 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Circuit