Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post some guidance on changing the plugs on the 1.0 K10C. Regards, Neil.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,093 Posts
Remove spark plug wires, use a spark plug socket and rotate the plugs counter clockwise, that's it...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Remove spark plug wires, use a spark plug socket and rotate the plugs counter clockwise, that's it...
And then reverse the sequence with the new plugs.

I suspect there’s another reason for the OPs question though. Are you servicing the car yourself ?

·
Administrator
16,139 Posts
There have been cases where "self maintaining" owners familiar with older vehicles have been unable to find the spark plugs, especially on newer engines where the plugs are buried deep in the cylinder head, and the engine has distributorless coil-on-plug ignition, as is the case with the K10C.

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
Can anyone post some guidance on changing the plugs on the 1.0 K10C. Regards, Neil.
Hi NeilJG as fordem has pointed out your turbo charged K10C engine has spark plugs that are not readily visible or accessible being located under the air cleaner case on the top of the engine. The Owner's Manual for your vehicle should include details for access to the spark plugs and information concerning disconnecting ignition coils to avoid damage. Spark plug gaps and tightening procedures should be available to enable trouble free replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the manual Just states the spark plug change should be left to Suzuki. It seem to require removal of the air box housing prior to being able to access the coil packs. Just thought someone may have attempted it already and could give some pointers. Regards, Neil.

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the manual Just states the spark plug change should be left to Suzuki. It seem to require removal of the air box housing prior to being able to access the coil packs. Just thought someone may have attempted it already and could give some pointers. Regards, Neil.
Hi NeilJG it looks as though the addition of the turbo charger complicates matters perhaps special tool and seal usage.
When you get things sorted let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I recently tried a plug change on my 2010 MX-5 using a socket set I’ve had for around 20+ years only to find that modern plugs are set much deeper into the head and require a narrow wall plug socket. Local indie garage charged me a tenner to replace them so it’s a no brainer to use a garage if you don’t have the kit or experience.

·
Administrator
16,139 Posts
modern plugs are set much deeper into the head and require a narrow wall plug socket.
This has been a problem for me also - in my sister's case, no one but the main dealer had a plug socket to fit the plugs on a Nissan Tiida - I don't recall what size it was, but I had to hunt it down and special order it - she got rid of the vehicle shortly after.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Lot of plugs are coming out with 16 mm hex now and need a ridiculously thin wall socket, almost like the old lawnmower pressed tube style.

Nissan being Nissan use a 14mm hex on the Tida......PLZKAR6A-11 if you're interested

·
Administrator
16,139 Posts
As I said earlier, she got rid of the Tiida, but I did find the socket and now have one in my "arsenal".

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
As I said earlier, she got rid of the Tiida, but I did find the socket and now have one in my "arsenal".
and hopefully you never buy another vehicle with stupid 14 mm hex plugs. I have several tools like that in the back of the box, just in case too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts