Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been on this board for quite awhile, and remember something about first gen SX4 Manual Transmission Cars that had some engine problem with the J20A, but I can't find the thread here - seemed to be a common issue. I read about it 6 months ago, etc...

Anyway, I have a wrecked, parts-only, good engine/driveline 08 SX4 AWD Automatic, and I have an opportunity to buy a low-mileage 07 Manual Trans AWD that has a dead engine. I would swap the J20A Engine out of the wreck and put it into the 07 Stick shift, putting in a NEW CLUTCH PLATE, surfacing the flywheel, etc... but I want to know if there are any other common problems with the stick shift SX4 that I should look for while it's apart, etc...

Thanks Everyone!

2010 SX4 Base 106k miles - Love it!

06 Aerio AWD - High RPM Cruiser, very reliable. Gone but Loved it!

08 Mercedes R550 Canadian - Fast Super Van - When the SX4 just won't do...

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
on my 2011 sx4, six speed manual, from day one it can be tricky shifting from 1 to 2nd, if i don't shift fast enough then it catches/grinds a bit, to overcome this, either shift quickly from 1 to 2nd or move the shifter into neutral and left/right quickly and then shift into 2nd, changing the tranny fluid to synthetic helped a bit, use what the manual recommends, in mine its gl4, if i switch on the quicker side then no issues, i have read that others have had this issue, hope this helps,
94box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 94Box. Good to know about your 2011 manual trans issue. I remember something about the Generation One SX4 manual trans models (07-09) having some other issues, so, I'm still looking. It would be interesting if I bought this car and it was the trans, not the engine!!! Gotta do more research. All the Best!

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 07 manual Trans had a different 5th gear ratio. I think the difference was roughly 500-600rpm @60mph. It can be changed by taking the end plate off the Trans and changing 2 gear cogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts