Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just completed fitment of a new clutch to an Australian delivered 07 SX4.
It is possible to remove the transfer case an gearbox without lowering the subframe. (lower control arms )
Mind you need patience. Here is how to do it.

Remove battery and shelf- disconnect both e c modules.
Remove coolant and top radiator hose.
Remove air inlet box
Disconnect line to clutch slave cylinder
Loosen starter motor and let it hang on its cables
Disconnect shift cables
Disconnect wiring loom mounts and reverse light switch
Remove 2 top bellhousing bolts
Jack up car and put on stands so you can fit under it.
Remove front wheels loosen CV joint end nuts unbolt and detach lower control arms only control arms and then remove both drive shafts.
Remove rear tail shaft.
Disconnect both O2 sensors and remove Cat converter section of exhaust and other short piece above crossmember. The rear piece can stay put.
Remove the member supporting the front engine mount including the mount.
Undo nuts holding rear transfer case mount to crossmember.
The engine/transaxle assy is now hanging on 2 remaining engine mounts and can rock 'east west".
remove strengthening brackets and 3 bolts holding transfer case to gearbox and slide tfer away from gearbox. I used a block of wood and a strap to hold tfer case clear(toward rear) and then supporting engine on a floor jack unbolted the last mount and remove the gearbox.
Be sure to replace the Oring between transfer case and gbox.
When replacing tfcase place gearbox in any gear and turn rear drive flange to mesh the splines. lots of care and patience required not to damage Oring. do not use brute force.
I'm not sure if it's quicker than taking out the lot on the subframe. you need a hoist etc. to do it that way
Take care with clutch bleeder screw assy. It's some sort of plastic and easily broken.
Was easier to assemble in reverse once your familar with the layout.
Don't like that the transfer gearing and rear tailshaft spins full time. To have "4wd" an electric clutch is applied in the rear diff. Rather inefficient.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...Don't like that the transfer gearing and rear tailshaft spins full time. To have "4wd" an electric clutch is applied in the rear diff. Rather inefficient.
Yes...all components keep turning all time even as they are uncoupled.......most AWD cars use this setup..this is why running in 2WD provides no fuel saving at all....except with a lot of imagination

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a Suzuki car owner, just helping out a friend. Have had my share of their motorcycles but as a mechanic I wasn't impressed by the engineering in the early model cars and 4wds. Tolerances were loose and splines flogged out easily. I worked in a manual gearbox shop for 6 years in the 90's
I posted mainly to assist anyone doing a clutch job in their home garage/car port.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts