Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 07 grand vitara with 130k. Went to dinner the other night and went out to start it and no start at all... Thought it sounded like the starter because it would only make one looud click and that is it. Took it to a shop and they replaced it with a rebuilt one and same problem. The mechanic said he thinks my engine is seized and could not turn over motor with wrench. does that sound right? Have you heard of any issues like this? Had oil in it, was not making any engine noises, and no check engine light.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
does that sound right?
That it is seized? Apparently so. :(

There are too many engine component areas to mention, that would cause this. Only an open and inspect will tell.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
There is also a SLIM chance that the problem is at the engine's flywheel (flex plate if an automatic) or even with the transmission. :huh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
f it was the flex plate what would need to be done? Also what would cause it to seize? Just does not make sense to me. f it had oil, no engine noises, didn't overheat??? How much would a new engine cost if it was seized? Thanks for the reply..

·
Registered
83 Posts
It wouldn't just be something battery-related, would it?

This, from a quick Google search:

I can hear a click, but the starter won't crank

It's a very common problem: you turn the key to the "Start" position, but the engine won't crank; all you hear is a single click or repeated clicking coming from the engine compartment. Very often this could be caused by a weak battery or poor connection at the battery terminals. Sometimes a battery cable can get corroded inside causing the same problem. In some cases a bad connection between the negative battery cable and the engine (bad ground) can cause the same symptoms.
Of course, there could be other reasons, but most often this happens when there is not enough electric current for the starter motor to turn over the engine.
See this paragraph: how to check the battery.
Also, check the battery terminals to make sure they are not corroded. Here is a photo how a corroded battery terminal looks: Car maintenance checklist: Battery
If the battery is OK and the battery terminals appear clean and not corroded, the starter solenoid, battery cables or the starter motor itself could be a problem.

I don't know about turning the engine by wrench. Is that always a tell-tale sign?

Jason

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
I don't know about turning the engine by wrench. Is that always a tell-tale sign?
Yep. :(

Checking for engine seizure (presumably in this case as well) by attempting to turn the engine by hand using a large socket / wrench at the crank bolt, would be what is typically done in situations like this. This was attempted after the starter was replaced as well (the way I read the post) thus ruling out a starter problem.

A flex-plate issue would have to derive from one that was completely broken, and jamming inside the bell-housing. A rare scenario, but possible.

I suspect that either the valve timing components let go (jamming the sprockets), or the engine is hydro-locked from an internal coolant leak into the combustion chambers. Another possibility is that the crank bearings, or pistons in their bores are causing the seizure from lack of oil or overheating. :(

One could send off an oil sample for analysis for a additional troubleshooting information, but the damage is apparently already done.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I agree with digitaldelay here. Sounds like it's a dead battery or possibly a bad connection between battery and starter. The single click is a telltale sign. Both digitaldelay and I live in a part of the world where it gets really cold and batteries die all the time. We're all familiar with that "click".

Always check the simple, cheap stuff first. Don't assume the problem is more complex until you've eliminated the easy things first. Hard to imagine the engine would just seize for no reason. Not very likely.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Sounds like it's a dead battery or possibly a bad connection between battery and starter.
Would that not be the first thing that a Mechanic would check? :huh:
sounded like the starter...Took it to a shop and they replaced it with a rebuilt one and same problem
Followed by...
mechanic said he thinks my engine is seized and could not turn over motor with wrench
Sounds rather cut and dry to me! :mellow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts