Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, thank you for reading my post. I recently recieved a 06 reno, im used to driving chevys and pick up trucks but i love this car. However after 3 months of driving ive seemed to have encountered a problem. Yesterday while driving my check engine light came on and pressing on the gas didnt seem to have much affect until after about 8 secs then it would finally pick up speed. I thought I could use some transmission fluid only to find out that they arent user serviceable (am i correct?) and that special equipment was needed. I managed to get home safe and sound but when i go to turn on the car the engine light is gone but the symptoms are still somewhat present.
So overall
*car doesnt want to pick up speed despite pressing on the gas until about 8 seconds
*occasionally ill feel the car thrust or kick forward while driving
*the car goes into reverse and all the other gears just fine, only one seems to be drive

any recommendations? tips? and also if anyone knows of any places that can deal with suzukis that be great. im sorry if i sound like a total car dunce but im not terribly knowlegeable on them. any help would be great as i would lose my job if i can get it fixed in the next few days!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum! it sounds like it might be your transmission range sensor. what your going to need to do though is go somewhere like autozone or pepboys and have the code read and see what the code means. those places will read the code for free. just so you know the reno/forenza is a chevy! lolol it was a joint venture. most of the parts on your car have a GM stamp on them. it was also sold as a Chevrolet optra and a Chevrolet lacetti. so let us know what code the car has and we can go from there. anything else just ask!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi just got back from the shop. Apparently the engine light has turned off, the found a leak and cleaned it up but the transmission lost much fluid. they didnt have the right type of fluid to finish it off, which fluid do reno's take and does anyone know of any place that has the ability to do these things? i tried to call a foreign car place here and they just flat out told me "we dont work on suzukis" :1

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. I just realized I never asked if it's manual or auto lolol. So, for the auto trans the fluid is ESSO LT 71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235
Manual fluid is SAR 80W if your in an extrely cold area use SAE 75W90
Do you have an owners manual? That kind of info is in the back of it. If the guy said they don't work on Suzukis the guy just didn't want to do any work lolol. There's no strange or alien parts on the car that any profsional shop shouldn't be able to deal with pretty easily. I've used a few shoppes work on my car with out problems. Just made an appointment and showed up. As for the transmission. It is in fact a sealed unit but that doesn't mean it never needs service. It's hard to do yourself but not impossible with the right tools. Of course having a lift makes it much easier :) Any good mechanic should have the needed socket in his tool box. I suggest physically going to a shop and just tell them you need a fluid change on the transmission. Id be surprised if you get another "no". If you don't mind what area are you in? Any problems let us know. Also let us know how it's driving after you get the fluid changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I just realized I never asked if it's manual or auto lolol. So, for the auto trans the fluid is ESSO LT 71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235
Manual fluid is SAR 80W if your in an extrely cold area use SAE 75W90
Do you have an owners manual? That kind of info is in the back of it. If the guy said they don't work on Suzukis the guy just didn't want to do any work lolol. There's no strange or alien parts on the car that any profsional shop shouldn't be able to deal with pretty easily. I've used a few shoppes work on my car with out problems. Just made an appointment and showed up. As for the transmission. It is in fact a sealed unit but that doesn't mean it never needs service. It's hard to do yourself but not impossible with the right tools. Of course having a lift makes it much easier :) Any good mechanic should have the needed socket in his tool box. I suggest physically going to a shop and just tell them you need a fluid change on the transmission. Id be surprised if you get another "no". If you don't mind what area are you in? Any problems let us know. Also let us know how it's driving after you get the fluid changed.
Thank you! Its an automatic 4 cylinder. I actually just got this car from my parents as of 3 months ago. Are there any chain maintenance (kwik n clean, pep boys, etc?) shops that can service suzukis transmission? The guys at the shop said that they could fill it although they didn't seem to have the fluid off hand. Im in the Dallas/Denton, Tx area.
edit: also I didn't find the owners manual in the car haha, this was one of the first sites that popped up on google, appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There has been few inputs around here from owners of Suzuki Forenza and Reno,which is the same car, stating good results with Castrol Import ATF which you can acquire from Advanceauto or Walmart as it meets ESSO LT 71141 requirement.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
yeah any shop should be able to do the job, they might need to order the fluid though. ive heard of some of the cars not having the owners manual. just can be a handy thing to have

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well good news is that i got a shop to replace the fluid and it started driving without a problem.
the bad news after my second day of driving, the timing belt has appeared to gone out has left me without a car. completely stopped and it sounded like something was scraping so im sure the engine is pretty much done for without extensive repair.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
oh no!! sorry to hear about the car. well heres the deal. the motor is an interference design. in short that means that if the timing belt should break your chances of a piston hitting a valve and bending it are very high. the only way to check the motor out for damage is to remove the head and inspect the valves and pistons. at this point removing the head HAS to be done. the good news is that the parts arent hard to come by and arent overly expensive. you can get everything from www.suzukicarparts.com but RockAuto Parts Catalog is probably much cheaper. if they have the parts buy from them. theres also a chance that your head and valves are ok. keep us updated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts