Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car new in 2004 and it always seemed to surge ever so slightly when cruising at a steady speed. It didnt affect the drivability any and was barely noticable. I had it to 4 different dealerships in different states (Im military so I move alot) and they all said the Veronas "just did this" and all was normal. From 2008 to 2010 the car seemed to want to cut out during acceleration only during inital startup in the morning. It was like it was running out of gas. I changed the fuel filter in 2010. Nothing changed. Took it to the dealer and of course the dealer couldnt get the car to recreate the problem. It seemed to get worse in 2011 to the point of now the engine will not go above about 2500rpm. It started this all the sudden. It acts like its starving for fuel. The fuel pump seemed to be getting louder so I replaced it. No change. Then replaced the fuel filter. No change. Rented a fuel pressure test kit from Autozone just to find that my Verona has no fuel test port. When I changed the fuel filter I expected fuel to come spraying out because the fuel system is supposed to be under pressure but it seemed to not have any. Fuel did come out but not under pressure. I had started the car about 10min prior so Im thinking there should have been pressure. I disconnected the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line from the manifold with the engine running, no change. Used vacuum tester to check regulator for diaphram leaks, none indicated. I applied vacuum to the regulator with the engine running, no change. Car runs below 2500rpm great and idles just fine. Do I have a bad regulator or am I barking up the wrong tree? Car does have code for bank 1, sensor 1 but I havent replaced it yet. Can an oxygen sensor cause this problem? Could the catylitc converter be clogged?
Please help, this is my wifes car and im in the doghouse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
engine cuts off

I have the same car. I get that problem but only lasts a couple of days then it goes away. Then my check engine turns on, ( and it runs super fine) for a couple of days. then chk eng. light goes off and the shit s
tarts to Idle hard..... continously, annoyingly. that lasts a couple of days and then the cycle starts all over again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The verona engine has a design defect which is well known to Suzuki and its dealers. The cylinder heads on the cars go bad after 30k-50k. You are leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. Atleast that was my experience with my Verona....and several replacement engines provided by Suzuki....Yes...the entire engine needs to be replaced as the cylinder walls are teflon coated....the coolant damages the coating....I traded me verona in for an SX4...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update to original post

Thanks cgeaghan. Im pretty sure thats not my issue because Im not losing water.
I purchased a OBD II reader which reads real time and graphs. Got the Harbor Freight model 98614. Works awesome. I knew I had O2 sensor codes but was surprised to find code P0342 which is camshaft position sensor circuit low. Im assuming its probably bad. O2 sensor codes were P0153, P0157, P0160, P0174, P0151, P0305, P0306, P0304, and P0300. The sensors are outputting a low voltage on bank 2 which is cylinders 4, 5, and 6. After reading up on O2 sensors I found people replace them all too often when the sensor is operating properly. All indicators point to something causing a lean condition in bank 2 which is why the sensors are reading a low voltage. Any ideas on what could make only those cylinders run lean and noth the others?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's possible that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. You're correct in that a fault code indicating trouble with the O2 sensor does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad, but that it's doing it's job. It's telling you there is trouble elsewhere.

I had a somewhat similar problem, but the engine seemed to run ok, for the most part. It did stutter a little at startup sometimes, but it'd run ok otherwise.

I had fault codes P0174, P0151 and they accompanying codes for the other "bank" and I traced the problem to a broken vacuum line, which I repaired with 1' of vacuum hose which cost $1.07.

However, since your problem seems to be related to one bank, it could be possible that the intake manifold is cracked somewhere on that side of the engine. The diaphragms in the regulator may be ok, but there may be cracks or leaks elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The verona engine has a design defect which is well known to Suzuki and its dealers. The cylinder heads on the cars go bad after 30k-50k. You are leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. Atleast that was my experience with my Verona....and several replacement engines provided by Suzuki....Yes...the entire engine needs to be replaced as the cylinder walls are teflon coated....the coolant damages the coating....I traded me verona in for an SX4...
The problems with the cylinder head are not related to the cylinder wall problems. Also, the cylinders are not teflon coated, but they do not have steel sleeves.

Often times, a cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket will lead to oil in the coolant and vice versa. Your coolant might look a bit like chocolate milk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts