Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Verona has just over 45K on the odometer and for the past 2 weeks the Check Engine light has been on constantly, from engine start-up to shut-off. There have been -no- driveability issues at all noted during this time.

My question is: How do I check for fault codes? Does this car require an OBDII scan tool or can I pull the codes without one? Lastly, is there an on-line listing of the codes?

Thanks-

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yep, you will need an OBDII scanner to read the codes.
there are many on-line sources to get definitions, or just post them here and we can get you some answers..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I read the codes with the OBDII scanner:

P0174 (System too lean) Bank 2

P0171 (System too lean) Bank 1

I cleared the codes, started the car for a few minutes, but have not driven it yet. The check engine light is off for now, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
sounds like it could be an intake leak, or possibly low fuel pressure.
first place to check is the hose that comes off of the PCV, they are really brittle and like to crack..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sounds like it could be an intake leak, or possibly low fuel pressure.
first place to check is the hose that comes off of the PCV, they are really brittle and like to crack..
lumpylarry et all:

After finding out what codes were stored and a little on-line searching, low fuel pressure & intake leaks seemed to be the common causes.

Before I drove the car today I removed the upper engine cover to snoop around a little. Within minutes I found the problem....

The PCV valve was -broken- in two pieces with part of it inside the hose and the other part still screwed into the front cover. I removed the ventilation hose from the car completely and removed the broken nipple on the work bench. I had to remove the EGR valve to gain access to the PCV valve body, then was able to remove it using a socket.

I went on-line, but none of the local parts houses listed the PCV valve. :(

The PCV seems to be made of ABS(?), so I cleaned the parts well with brake cleaner, used super glue to join the parts together, then ran a bead of JB Weld on the outside for strength. After the JB Weld had cured for several hours I put everything back together and drove the car, making several short trips during the day. The check engine light never came on. Just for kicks I checked for codes again this evening using the OBD II, and it 'passed' with no codes stored. It looks like my shade-tree repair worked. I'd still like to buy a new PCV valve as I don't have a local dealer...if anyone has one.

lumpylarry is the man :D

Many Thanks! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ive tried that a few times using super glues, epoxy's etc, never had success, the heat always seems to melt the glue.
hope yours lasts until you get the part..

beware, running the engine lean will cause serious internal damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive tried that a few times using super glues, epoxy's etc, never had success, the heat always seems to melt the glue.
hope yours lasts until you get the part..

beware, running the engine lean will cause serious internal damage.

Advice taken...just have to find a new valve.

Thanks again!:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received the new PCV valve from Rock Auto on Wednesday and installed it. Rechecked for codes but none were found, so I guess my glue-job held up the past few days. It's now Friday and the car has been driven ~150 miles over the past few days--the check engine light remains off.

I hope it stays that way. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Light

Sometime the engine light turns on (on this car) due to keeping the car running while getting gas or not properly tightening the gas cap.

If this is the reason, the engine light should go-off automatically after 200 miles of driving.

I have to say this happened to me twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts